Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Colorado Skies - borders/no borders? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/colorado-skies-borders-no-borders-t232142.html)

Jackie Spencer 10-10-2013 04:28 AM

Love your quilt. Either way it will be beautiful, but if you add a border, I would go with all 3 fabrics as pictured. I think just using the yellow would draw the eye away from the center.

MamaBear61 10-10-2013 04:30 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. If you prefer the borderless look then I would create another row of blocks each way until the top is the size you wanted.

judylg 10-10-2013 04:51 AM

Either way will be very nice. I have noticed as well that more quilts are popping up with no borders and that is nice, too.

nabobw 10-10-2013 05:05 AM

Love your choice of borders

Tartan 10-10-2013 05:25 AM

Pretty top! I like the 3 fabrics you have chosen. You could add another row on the top and bottom as mentioned if you still want to go border-less. If you don't want to do a lot of the blocks, you could do 4 and place them into a wide border of the purple, one on each side. It would continue the design out to the edges and it really wouldn't look like you used large purple borders to make it bigger.

bigsister63 10-10-2013 05:28 AM

How much bigger do you want the quilt to be? It looks like your block size is 12" so if you add another row then the quilt will your top will be 12" bigger. It also looks like you are showing 3-2" strips wich when added together will make quilt 12" bigger. Do you have enough fabric and the energy to make more blocks? if not then add the 3 colors for the borders. I think they compliment the blocks nicely. I think either without or with borders would look nice. I think that the binding also will frame the quilt which would look good in the purple.

MarthaT 10-10-2013 06:07 AM

Here is what I would do if I were adding borders: Since the outside edge is all darker fabrics, I would add a narrow border of the yellow to frame the quilt. (I would not use the light blue, since it is more of a background fabric in the pattern and does not need to be pulled out.) Then do a wider border, whatever width you need to make the finished quilt the size you want, of one of the darker fabrics in the quilt. The purple is fine or even one of the dark blues. I personally like borders as a frame for quilts and I'm often ready to quit piecing blocks by the time I get to this stage in the process.

nativetexan 10-10-2013 06:44 AM

I think you are right. the blocks would do well with borders. Go for it!! it's lovely.

DonnaPBradshaw 10-10-2013 06:57 AM

This is an amazing quilt! You can't go wrong with any of the fabrics for borders, have you thought of using at least two of them or three? using one as a stop border and then the other two as the borders but measure how much you need added to your quilt, and miter them? just a thought!

kjboone4101 10-10-2013 06:58 AM

I really like the three color borders-beautiful work