Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   commercial Singer machine and Domestic? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/commercial-singer-machine-domestic-t22070.html)

Rose Marie 06-30-2009 06:06 AM

I dont have pictures yet but need to get info on these machines.
The Singer is a large commercial machine with a huge motor on it.
The Domestic is in an old metal and wood cabinet that has all the drawers missing.
These were left in a house my dauther just bought and they are buried under a mess of junk.

Ninnie 06-30-2009 06:12 AM

The commercial may be worth saving! Don't know too mmuch about them , but would love to see pictures.

BellaBoo 06-30-2009 06:15 AM

The commercial one would be great for sewing heavy fabrics. It would be great for making tote bags, pillows, and home dec from upholstery fabrics.

Rose Marie 06-30-2009 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It surprised me that Singer made a commercial machine. It looks old. It is in a table so it sits flush and has a big wooden thing to put large threads on.

Tink's Mom 06-30-2009 06:29 AM

I may be able to help...Singer has a whole line of industrial machines...Straight stitch mostly...new ones start at about $700. They last forever with a little maintenence. If you try to tip the machine head towards the back of the machine, it may be sitting in a bed of oil. This is for lubricating the machine as it will work for 12 hours straight without stopping. It needs special needles(not the same as your home sewing machine needle), a special sewing machine oil that is sold by the quart and has a leather belt to run the machine/motor.
The model # is listed on the machine somewhere usually 3 #'s, a letter, a -, and then another 3 numbers.
Contact Singer for an instruction book once you have that info...
Good luck, Susie

Rose Marie 06-30-2009 06:32 AM

Thank you.
It is not here but will be going to the house this weekend and will check it out some more.

Shelley 06-30-2009 07:01 AM

If you check your phone book (larger cities) you should be able to find an industrial sewing machine repairman. They'll have you take in the head (unless there is a problem with the motor). I bought an industrial on ebay, and it was nearly frozen. The serviceman was able to wash it in kerosene to get it working again.

As a side note, I understand there are two kinds of motors, clutch and servo. The clutch motor runs all the time, and by pressing the foot pedal, you engage a clutch that runs the sewing machine.

The servo motor only runs when you press the foot pedal, and only as fast as you press the pedal.

I keep hoping my clutch motor will die so that I have an excuse to by a newer servo. The noise drives me nuts!!

littlehud 06-30-2009 07:57 AM

What a find.

amma 06-30-2009 10:45 AM

I would keep both....but I have been called a pack rat :oops: :lol: I would love to have a heavy duty machine, even if I would not have a need to use it often, it would be nicer than trying to use one of my domestics.

mkanderson 07-02-2009 09:59 AM

My goodness!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: That looks just like one that I sewed on for nearly 12 years, eight hours a day! I would love to have one at home! :lol: I loved the big thread stand on the back side of it. The table it is on looks like it too! We had big cones of thread and the one I sewed on the large thread stand would have one cone of thread on each stand and one was your top thread, the other one went to your bobbin :lol: