Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confession (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confession-t163756.html)

MoMoSews 10-27-2011 03:32 PM

I do not own a pin cushion :( At first I thought I didn't need one. Then I see so many cute ones on here. My pins ARE getting dull! I guess I have an inner phobia about having to stuff something.

patchsamkim 10-27-2011 04:03 PM

Pincushions are quite easy to make...or you can buy them already made. I have at least a dozen of them....some I have made, some others have made for me, and have a magnetic one also. Just got a new one last weekend from a friend in Halloween colors...so guess now I will be needing more seasonal pincushions :)

Maybe you can find someone to do an exchange with.

ontheriver 10-27-2011 04:15 PM

I don't use a pin cushion, I have magnetic bowls from harbor freight.

sewbeadit 10-27-2011 05:14 PM

I have magnetic ones from the fabric store, and a metal bowl and a few made ones. One is a pincushion on a doll leg. It is a porcelain leg with the pincushion on the top, it is cute, that is something to do with a doll part.lol In high school we used the wrist pincushion and I ran across it the other day in some sewing stuff, it was antique looking! Took me a long time to learn how to use a magnetic one, kept poking my wrist with pins.

jaciqltznok 10-27-2011 05:25 PM

sadly those magnetic ones will DULL your needles...but they are handy aren't they?

Tartan 10-27-2011 05:26 PM

I've sewn for years and I must admit that I'd never made myself pincushions until this year, now I can't stop. I did the cute little one that someone showed here where you sew 2 squares together to make a little roundish shape. I also decided I really needed a thread catcher/pin cushion by my machine after seeing pictures of the many nice ones on QB. I use them all the time and the thread catcher really saves the carpet from thread snot.

bluteddi 10-27-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
sadly those magnetic ones will DULL your needles...but they are handy aren't they?

they dull the needles/pins? how?

I've used magnetic dishes for years... I've never heard they dull the needles

Quiltinelaine 10-27-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi

they dull the needles/pins? how?

I've used magnetic dishes for years... I've never heard they dull the needles

Ditto

crafty_linda_b 10-27-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MoMoSews
I do not own a pin cushion :( At first I thought I didn't need one. Then I see so many cute ones on here. My pins ARE getting dull! I guess I have an inner phobia about having to stuff something.

Melanie, sign up for one of the pincushion swaps on here..you will get a cute one that way...I love to make them and I collect the old fashioned ones that are heart shaped with the crocheted covers on them. I have several of those. Do you do hand sewing so you have a need to use one? crafty_linda_b

Jim 10-27-2011 08:16 PM

really?...I have a magnetic one that is plastic covered...how would that dull a needle?