Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Converting fat quarters to yardage..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/converting-fat-quarters-yardage-t304800.html)

Friday1961 05-19-2019 09:52 AM

Converting fat quarters to yardage.....

Math is not my strong suit -- I'm an English major.

So, I'm asking if you all think I've calculated this correctly. I bought a pattern -- something I never do -- for a puzzle quilt, which calls for fat quarters, not yardage. Well, I'm not buying that many fat quarters, so need to figure how much yardage I need. If there are 4 fat quarters in a yard (which seems to be the theory), does this compute:

(These numbers are for a full/queen size quilt)

Light fabric: 12 fat quarters = 3 yards
Light/medium fabric: 7 fat quarters = 1 3/4 yards
Medium/dark fabric: 7 fat quarters = 1 3/4 yards
Dark fabric: 19 fat quarters = 4 3/4 yards

Thanks for your help!

bearisgray 05-19-2019 09:56 AM

You have it right!

cathyvv 05-19-2019 11:03 AM

​Correct on all counts.

toverly 05-19-2019 12:58 PM

You are correct, I would still round up those 3/4 yards to full yards according to the pattern. Just to save some pieced pieces.

Jordan 05-19-2019 01:26 PM

I think you are correct on all calculations.

Jingle 05-19-2019 03:42 PM

Sounds like you got it correct. I would also advise you to round up to full yards. I always like a little wiggle room.

maviskw 05-20-2019 04:27 AM

I think the reason for the fat quarters in the pattern was to have lots of different colors. Would you still like the pattern if there were so many of the same pieces in it?

klswift 05-20-2019 05:47 AM

chances are you will have quite a bit extra - which is a good thing! They may only be using part of each fat quarter, so figuring 4 fat quarters for a yard, you may find you only use a half or three fourths of it. But always better to have too much than not enough.

Friday1961 05-20-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8255144)
You are correct, I would still round up those 3/4 yards to full yards according to the pattern. Just to save some pieced pieces.

Yes, I will.....because I'm a better safe than sorry type! But I used the fractions here to see if I had calculated it correctly.

Friday1961 05-20-2019 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 8255387)
I think the reason for the fat quarters in the pattern was to have lots of different colors. Would you still like the pattern if there were so many of the same pieces in it?

I won't use as many different colors/patterns as the quilt pattern calls for, and in fact, plan to make the "background" squares all from the same light fabric, either white or a patterned white. Actually, I realized after I bought the pattern -- because I couldn't figure out from looking how it was constructed -- that I don't like the scrappy "rings" or "links", even though I normally like scrappy. In this case I prefer that the "links" be the same color (not the same color throughout but each a consistent color in itself.....if that makes sense. I found a photo online of this pattern made by someone who felt the same way and who made each "link" a consistent color so that they stand out from the background. It requires concentration and some planning -- as she noted -- but that's what I plan to do, too. We'll see how it goes!

This quilt is intended for my eldest son, who has been so enthusiastic and complimentary since I first began quilt making, asking about each new project: "Is that mine?" And who, I think, will appreciate the fun of this pattern. The only reason he does not already have a quilt made by me is that he wanted a king size, which made me quake, so I kept putting it off. They are now getting a new bed -- a queen size -- so no more excuses on my part!