Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   copyright--another response from a creator (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/copyright-another-response-creator-t8793.html)

barnbum 07-06-2008 04:30 PM

I made several of those braided table runners to sell, so I decided to ask the person who made them about this copy right issue.

Here's what I sent her:
Hello--
>
> The topic of copyright came up on a forum I read. I was
> wondering if I could get your point of view.
>
> One person emailed the writer of a book of quilt patterns
> to ask if it was okay if she made a few quilts of a pattern
> and sold them, if that was allowed. The author replied to
> say anything she creates is fine, and it's her choice
> what she does, but it was not okay to copy the information
> from the book. So, we're wondering if that's the
> rule in most places.
>
> I read the copyright statement at the bottom of the
> "Quick Table Topper" directions page. I
> understand that to mean folks can't print the
> directions out, then photo copy them for others because
> you'd like them to visit your site. That makes perfect
> marketing sense. But what about making several of that
> pattern, say less than 10, to sell at a local craft sale.
> Does copyright effect this?
>
> Thanks for your input. I'd like to share your response
> with the forum if it's okay.
>
> Karla

And here's her response:
Karla,

Most designers will put some sort of restriction on their copyright stopping mass production of their design. Except for Lazy Girl, whose copyright specifically forbids it, they don't mean a couple at a craft show. They mean a manufacturing business.

As for me, I really don't mind if you make a few and sell them. It would be very nice if you could give the website credit, but I understand that you can't always do that. So don't worry about me:-))

Kris

pocoellie 07-06-2008 04:34 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I'm sure everyone will appreciate your effort.

grammo013 07-06-2008 05:43 PM

thank you that answered a big question for me.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :lol:

jbsstrawberry 07-06-2008 07:29 PM

Thanks Karla! Very helpful info!

DreamXer 07-06-2008 07:52 PM

That neat to know. I write (honestly, I put it together, I don't actually write anything...) our quilt guild newsletter and I try to quote website and author info as much as possible - but sometimes I forget (cause I write the newsletter the night before at about midnight :( )... I'm not always being bad then... whew!! relief! Very helpful info!

gcathie 07-06-2008 09:02 PM

:D Thanks for the info Karla.... :wink:

tlrnhi 07-06-2008 10:49 PM

Thanks Karla!

DA Mayer 07-07-2008 07:49 AM

I would like to thank you for several things; first the wording of your letter, I wasn't sure how to even start to write the creator, second you had an answer from a publisher in your letter, and third the response from the creator. You seem to be able to hand out such useful information, thank you for the post.

barnbum 07-07-2008 07:55 AM

You're welcome!! :D

I guess I should have included my reply back to her:

Thank you so much, Kris. I'll let the forum folks know what you said. It's very helpful for the discussion.

I don't think putting a note of information about a website with the table runner is too hard at all--wouldn't take anything to do that--pin an index card with the website of the pattern on it. It's only fair. ;-) Consider it done.

Karla

retrogirl02 07-07-2008 11:49 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I have only used traditional patterns for charity blocks, but would certainly consider adding something recent after checking with the creator.

I'd love to have some time to make items for a craft show....but lets face it ladies & gents, I'm so behind now it'll be mid-retirement before that's a possibilty LOL.