Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Coroplast at Home Depot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/coroplast-home-depot-t175840.html)

MomtoBostonTerriers 01-16-2012 09:47 AM

Coroplast at Home Depot

I just discovered that my local Home Depot (in Dallas) carries Coroplast plastic storage boards. Many of you use AlaskaSunshine's fabulous method of storing fabric, and that is what she recommends. The Coroplast at Home Depot is 24" x 36", costs approximately $6.50 per piece, and is enough for 8 of the larger boards shown in AlaskaSunshine's tutorial. Home Depot no longer carries this product on-line.

I know that some quilters have found Coroplast at local sign stores, but the store I contacted near my house charges $240 for 2 pieces that are 4' x 8'. It's more than I wanted to pay.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...om-t43871.html

Guess what I am going to be doing for the rest of my MLK holiday?

Tartan 01-16-2012 12:56 PM

I would love to have those but made do with cardboard instead. I picked up several sheets from the toilet tissue/paper towel skid at the supermarket. They use it to separtate the layers on the skid. I did ask first and they said, "go for it." So I did, I scored 3 large sheets and had enough to do my stash. It is so much nicer to be able to see what I have and such a relief to start 2012 on a tidy note.

jaciqltznok 01-16-2012 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 4880977)
I would love to have those but made do with cardboard instead. I picked up several sheets from the toilet tissue/paper towel skid at the supermarket. They use it to separtate the layers on the skid. I did ask first and they said, "go for it." So I did, I scored 3 large sheets and had enough to do my stash. It is so much nicer to be able to see what I have and such a relief to start 2012 on a tidy note.

OH dear..please reconsider using plain old cardboard....it is NOT acid free and will destroy your fabric!
Even if you covered in freezer paper there is no guarantee that the acid will not damage the fabric!

QuiltE 01-16-2012 02:04 PM

There are different weights/qualities of Coroplast, so your price comparison may not be apples-to-apples!

Sign shops might give you a better pricing for offcuts that are in their scrap bin.
You might even get a variety of colours to have some fun with. (think -- colour coding representing their contents!)

You can usually buy it in Staples.
I've even seen it in some dollar stores!

Tartan 01-16-2012 02:29 PM

Thankyou Jacquie for the reminder that cardboard is not acid free. I looked up on the GLQC website and it said to cover cardboard with muslin, tin foil or acid free tissue. It also warned about using plastic to store fabric as the harmful vapors can deterioate fabric.

ncredbird 01-16-2012 02:41 PM

Colorplast is still much more expensive than simply purchasing styrofoam board. I purchase it at my Dollar Tree store for 1.00 a sheet and get 10 boards out of each one. It comes in a 20"X30" sheet. They are strong enough to do the job and I have never cut my hand on them as I have done with the sharp edges of Colorplast. It is acid free also.
Ann in TN

MomtoBostonTerriers 01-16-2012 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4881168)
There are different weights/qualities of Coroplast, so your price comparison may not be apples-to-apples!

Sign shops might give you a better pricing for offcuts that are in their scrap bin.
You might even get a variety of colours to have some fun with. (think -- colour coding representing their contents!)

You can usually buy it in Staples.
I've even seen it in some dollar stores!

When I described prices in my original post, I compared 4 mm Coroplast for both sets of prices. Both were also white.

MomtoBostonTerriers 01-16-2012 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird (Post 4881289)
Colorplast is still much more expensive than simply purchasing styrofoam board. I purchase it at my Dollar Tree store for 1.00 a sheet and get 10 boards out of each one. It comes in a 20"X30" sheet. They are strong enough to do the job and I have never cut my hand on them as I have done with the sharp edges of Colorplast. It is acid free also.
Ann in TN

I am sure that people who want to use styrofoam board can do so easily and find that product in many locations. My original post had to do with the fact that I have had a hard time finding Coroplast -- because that is the product that I chose to use -- and wanted to share my good news with other quilters who might benefit from my find.

kathdavis 01-16-2012 03:28 PM

Comic boards on Amazon are very reasonable, acid free and work well from what I have heard. They run about 100 for $10.00. I think that is going to be a summer project for me once school is out.

TanyaL 01-16-2012 03:54 PM

Frequently at Hobby Lobby and Walmart I have been given the empty cardboard supports that the factory wraps the fabric on. As far as I can tell these are not acid free. They work as well for my stash as they worked in the stores.