Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cost increase. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cost-increase-t254543.html)

mustangquilts 09-30-2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6908992)
To take a workshop of one of these high profile quilters would be much more then $45. It's a bargain price and a great opportunity for the ones that can't travel or have no options of classes and workshops. There will be plenty that will sign up.

I so agree. I am no where close to where classes are available and I can go back anytime I want to pick up something I forgot or missed. I will admit there have been a couple of classes I bought and did not like and they were more than kind to refund my money.

HomekeepingGran 09-30-2014 07:37 AM

Who is EB? (I know who EZ is for knitting but I'm clueless about EB.)

I am jumping into quilting with both feet (got a baby blanket nearly finished) and took advantage of Craftsy's sales this fall to purchase a few classes. I have completed two of them and will probably complete a third within the week. I like the format, I like that I can refer to these classes over and over, I like that I can, on a sleepless night, turn on the computer and watch in my nightgown. I like that I don't have to travel an hour to get to a quilting class and I like that I can watch three Lessons in a day if I so choose. Having said all that, some of the classes I bought are better suited to my needs than other ones and a couple them I'm not sure I will ever finish. If I drove that hour to the classes in the next town I would find the same situation: sometimes I would be pleased and sometimes I would be disappointed. Especially when Craftsy has a sale, as they just did, I feel they are worth my money. And even those classes which I don't find stellar have still taught me things. Possibly some of that is because I am learning this craft from a beginner's standpoint, but still...

Definitely I also use YouTube and other tutorials but often the film quality is poor and very often the teacher seems to be trying to race through her material as quickly as possible. Plus, I can't ask questions there as I can on Craftsy. I am using all these mediums to learn. It's working for me.

~ Carla ~

rhilkey 09-30-2014 08:01 AM

I sign up for their free classes & patterns.

Lafpeaches 09-30-2014 08:34 AM

EB is the great, funny Eleanor Burns

susie-susie-susie 09-30-2014 08:49 AM

I have bought about 15 classes. Five or 6 of them were free--perfect price--and the rest were on sale. Probably under $20. I have only watched a couple and think I got my money's worth. I try to buy the teachers that I know and like their projects. I like the fact that they are always there and I can watch over and over if I want. I would hate to see them ad commercials. Right now when I am looking at AOL news, the same commercial plays over and over. Once I've seen it, I am done. A commercial does not make me buy any product and if their ads are annoying, I probably won't try their product.
Sue

DebD800 09-30-2014 09:50 AM

I absolutely LOVE craftsy and have learned an enormous amount of info from their classes. I also usually wait for sales but feel they are (for the most part) worth the full price. Yes, some of the info is available on youtube but not all in one place, without ads, not in as much detail and not in a format that is as easy to go back and find things. Also, with craftsy you can post questions for the instructors and get answers. GO CRAFTSY!!!!

Wonnie 09-30-2014 11:34 AM

To each his own....................

Melinda in Tulsa 09-30-2014 12:42 PM

Even if you paid full price for Craftsy classes (which I don't). The fact that you can take them over and over again makes them worth the price to me. I don't take one time classes since my comprehension level is not worth a flip anymore and if I don't "get it" the first time, I'm SOL, so being able to retake the classes, for me, is priceless.

MadQuilter 09-30-2014 03:16 PM

I've signed up for a ton of classes at Craftsy and except for 2, I was very pleased. The nice thing is that I can watch them over if I want to. I can make notes and just review the notes and I can work at my own time frame. Even the two that didn't exactly float my boat, I did get something out of. Every class was ordered on sales so I don't think I was out much money per class. Much easier than going to the LQS (which I still do also) but in the middle of the night, Craftsy is always open - my LQS is not.

ann31039 09-30-2014 04:34 PM

I would be interested in classes online, but not at 45 dollars. Single mom, one income and no child support. the dollar only stretches so far. plus, our internet service in this small town is not that great. To watch a you tube video I have to set to the lowest setting. and that is not very clear at all.