Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton Prices have gone down (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-prices-have-gone-down-t184200.html)

gypsylady5 03-29-2012 07:52 AM

This is probably the correct answer to the question. We won't see them go down, but maybe they can hold the line for awhile.

bunbytes 03-29-2012 08:02 AM

Cotton is a commodity, like gas and the prices are really set by the speculators in the market. Their goal is to make as much as possible. Like other addictions (and I'm really addicted to fabric) we pay for our habit. I tell people it is a fairly good addiction because you don't feel ill once it is acquired and it has great creative potential!

rob529 03-29-2012 09:21 AM

The only way the prices will go down is if we stop buying at the current price. My spending has certainly changed. It's such a shame, we have to quit buying fabric because we can't afford it which ends up closing down some of our quilt shops. Closed shops don't buy fabric from manufactures. A pretty big trickle down effect.
Robin in TX

Elaine433 03-29-2012 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by BMP (Post 5098720)
Once prices go up they almost never go back down !!! I cant wait for the elction to come and go and hopefully whoever is elected CAN DO something to help this nation !! Everything needs an updated overhaul !!!

AMEN--We can only hope and pray for a real change!

#1piecemaker 03-29-2012 11:23 AM

they used to say that what goes up must come down! Well, evidently things have changed! Everything just keeps getting higher and higher.

jlwheart 03-29-2012 11:30 AM

I'm glad to hear price of cotton's come down some but I don't think we'll see any big changes while gas is staying high. I know I'm adjusting my buying to use more stash and less cash.

peppermint31 03-29-2012 03:36 PM

I can tell you my experience with milk prices. Once several years ago the price per hundredweight went from $20. in December to $11. in January. NO price change in the store and fluid milk is a VERY quick turnover:(

caspharm 03-29-2012 05:13 PM

Very little goes down. The middleman keeps his share. Like a joke I heard about a certain store, if they keep lowering their prices, how come nothing's free. :)

Jan Rutherford 03-29-2012 05:24 PM

It sure would be nice to have prices of EVERYTHING go down ... food, gas, all of our basic needs. These highr prices are HHARD on the checkbook. Leaves alot less for fabric at any price. Here in WA. where I go for fabric a yard is at least 10.00 a yd. I feel lucky to find anythng below 8.00 and thats product the shop owners are wanting to get rid of to make room for new goods. FATS are 3.25 in most of the LQSHOPS. Did anyone mention our chice of hobby/ habit is no a cheap hobby???? ( neither is owning a cabin, snow sking, etc.!!!)

margecam52 03-29-2012 05:59 PM

Cotton prices may be down, but cotton futures are higher...some countries will not be shipping cotton to the states...so our cotton is supposed to be higher next season.