Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton quilting thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-quilting-thread-t298038.html)

Zyngawf 07-04-2018 08:39 AM

Cotton quilting thread?

Why do so many of you like it? My most recent quilt seems to have several broken threads in the free motion quilting. I used something definitely meant for this. I have used polyester thread to quilt before and not had this much of a problem.

Jane Quilter 07-04-2018 08:56 AM

It is easier to hand quilt with, doesn't knot as much. I always use polyester thread to machine quilt, it doesn't break as much.

joe'smom 07-04-2018 09:17 AM

I just like the idea of cotton better, and the idea of the fabric and thread both being cotton. I haven't had trouble using cotton for quilting.

Tartan 07-04-2018 10:08 AM

I use what looks good when machine quilting and it isn't always all cotton thread.

Irishrose2 07-04-2018 10:46 AM

Cotton is no problem for me. It's the very thin synthetic embroidery thread that breaks on me. It is so fine that it doesn't always stay where it should in the thread guides. Too bad, because I like the colors and the shine. My next quilt will be quilted with Superior Threads Masterpiece cotton.

Stitchnripper 07-04-2018 10:58 AM

I think it is trial and error with needle/thread combos that your machine likes. I started out with my new to me Brother 1500 Nouvelle and had a lot of problems. I thought it was the machine. then I kept trying different thread and needle sizes, combos, and realized my machine doesn't like to go in a certain direction so I have to remember to go very slowly. Now I can use a lot of different threads with good results. But right now I am fighting a polyester thread that is not Isacord and the first half of the quilt went fine, now it is breaking every few minutes. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the thread but, I started in the middle with an all over design and want it to match. I've cleaned, oiled, changed needle, etc. It isn't a tension issue. The thread shreds at the needle. For no apparent reason. No burrs, good needle, inserted correctly, threaded correctly, etc. So a mystery. I am plodding through.

Irishrose2 07-04-2018 12:07 PM

Stitchnripper, Is the thread coming off the spool the correct way for your machine? I often have to set those kind of spools in a cup behind the machine.

Stitchnripper 07-04-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 8087858)
Stitchnripper, Is the thread coming off the spool the correct way for your machine? I often have to set those kind of spools in a cup behind the machine.

Yes I have it on a thread stand and it goes from there to the thread stand on the machine. It was fine for a good portion of the quilt. I put some sewers aid on the thread. I have been Reading about mineral oil on thread but I think that is only in cotton. I have a mechanical machine so not too worried about computer issues. Still pondering

Jingle 07-04-2018 03:45 PM

I use connecting threads cotton thread or coats and clark thread. Sometimes I have problems most times I don't. If thread breaks I switch to a size 16 needle and no more problems.

Onebyone 07-04-2018 04:28 PM

I use a jean needle for machine quilting with thread 50 wt or thicker thread. No matter what the thread size says to match needle to it. The jeans needle always work for me when the others give me problems of shredded thread to breaking thread. Seldom have problems with any type of cotton or poly thread. I have heard thread popping in a finished quilt when my grands were tugging it. I think some quilts will be tugged or snagged if used so no use fretting over it. I've never had one fall apart yet.