Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Could be a problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/could-problem-t160295.html)

joyce888 10-16-2011 08:21 AM

Very cute bag and daughter.

maryb119 10-16-2011 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by red-warrior
Cute daughter and bag! Much cheeper than drug and alcohol rehab so many
young people need! You may just need to shop yard sales or thrift shops for
finds and let her earn her money. How fun to share a hobby!

By sharing a hobby with your daughter, you keep the line of communication open for other things. I raised 3 daughters and communication is so important when especially during the teenage years. She will ask about quilting and the conversation will go on from there. Besides, having a "quilting buddy" is fun!

fabric_lover 10-16-2011 11:50 AM

I'd like to amend the post I made pages back. Yes your beautiful daughter still makes a beautiful bag. For her future....you have the greatest oportunity right in front of you. She's showing an interest in something you like and are good at. This is the time to teach her from the quilting ground up, but make it non-teaching conversations . Educate her to thrift stores first then the LQS. Show her the fabrics and talk about qualities of each one.Bed skirts have lots of fabric and the falls are sometimes cotton and very reasonabley priced and pretty too. If both of you are up to it, make an Altzheimers quilt together. It's one of all fabrics as the people like to feel the diferent fabics and may bring some fleeting memories back. Even polyester and denim. You'll have some that stretch a bit, corduroy and velvet or velveteen have a nap, making it look different from different angles, etc. After it's finished she'll have learned about different qualities of the fabrics while learning some sewing. and you don't want to donate it, give it to a deserving dog; they like the different textures. Jst my quarters worth, enjoy the ride!!

Don't know if this has been suggested as haven't read all the posts.

Pieceful Quilter 10-16-2011 01:21 PM

Now that's a "Chip off the old block"! (And a cute one too.)

gypsylady5 10-16-2011 03:01 PM

She is doing great. There are always more fabrics to buy, so let her have her fun. Its nice to her about a young lady who wants to sew and is actually doing it!

Congradulations on such a great daughter.

Originally Posted by Plumtree
Not are really huge problem but a problem just the same. My fabric stash is in real danger.

My 12 yo daughter has been bit by the quilting bug and is actually using fabric from my stash. She actually made me cut up some of my prettys so she could make bags. She started sewing in August and now asks only a weekly basis to go to LQS or just goes down and picks which ones she wants to use for her current bag project. :shock:

How does a house deal with 2 fabricholics? I'm not sure my budget will like it, I know its not the end of the world but she wants me to cut my fabric.

Seriously, her bags are great and she is going to be starting her first lap quilt today.

EmbQuilt 10-16-2011 03:15 PM

Hello, long time lurker, my girls got their machines at 7 and 11. They loved my Pfaff. At first, I taught them on it but then when they got their own machines they got lower end kenmores. It was so hard to reteach them! As my machine had many features that theirs didn't!

I now had 2 people at one time to share stash with - and they were into creating large scale projects. My advice is enjoy your daughter now because as they aged they have sewn less and less and asked for me to sew more and more for them.

OH, by the way several of our boys know how to sew too! I can at at least say that the majority of the 7 can handle a sewing machine for simple things and a handle needle two!

Lee

writerwomen 10-16-2011 07:54 PM

Teach by example teach her how to use recycled fabric. Some of those fabrics you've been holding on to are only collecting dust and will never get used so let her have them. My daughter is 11 and we enjoy doing the fabric thing as well. we shop for pieces at thrift stores as well as retail- she is becoming thrifty and is learning how to get the most out of a piece of fabric.

Plumtree 10-17-2011 03:29 AM

Thank you all so much for the kind words she has loved reading everyone of them and so have I. Over the weekend she went thru our linen closet and found sheets I thought I had gotten rid of long ago andshe started cutting them into strips with the GO and wants to make quilt/s for the homeless shelter. She also made a note and copied it and gave it to a few of our neighboors asking for their old sheets or extra fabric to help with this cause.

I do love the fact that she sews with me and is excited about the craft. I dont' want to get too excited but would love a mother/daughter sewing team.

Thanks again for all the nice words,
Happy Sewing
Tammy and Grace(dd)

ging10ging 10-17-2011 06:30 PM

I guess she should start her own stash with her own fabric or pieces from what your giving her to use. that way maybe she'll use her own things for her projects. Cute bag and little girl. Have fun teaching remember only that age once and she wants to learn. Sue

crewsin 10-18-2011 07:03 AM

I have two granddaughters, ages 7 and 9, who both quilt. The oldest one got her first sewing machine at 5 years old. When we go to quilt shops, they spend so much time deciding which fabric is just perfect for the current project. It's wonderful to watch. I was at their house yesterday, and they both have a project laid out on the floor to decide on placement of the squares.