Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Could someone explain something to me, please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/could-someone-explain-something-me-please-t189762.html)

justflyingin 05-23-2012 09:46 AM

Things can get tricky when you are dealing with measurements for quilting. So, don't be ashamed to draw things out, use cheat sheets or simply ask here....people are always willing to help.

mom-6 05-23-2012 09:50 AM

Hey, don't feel bad! I 'thought' I was pretty good at math till I started quilting - have discovered otherwise...

MadQuilter 05-23-2012 10:03 AM

Your piece of fabric has two directions: width and length. In case of a square, these dimensions are the same.

Let's use a rectangle as an example, maybe that will make more sense. Let's say the size of the fabric rectangle is 3" by 5" - Now you sew another rectangle to the first one along the 5" measurement. You will use 1/4" seam on BOTH pieces and both rectangles will be 2 3/4" x 5". Sew another rectangle to the bottom and now your center piece will be 2 1/2" x 5" (Notice how the 5" measurement has not changed yet).

Now imagine that you sew a 3" x 5" piece to the end. This will leave each piece at 3" x 4 3/4" Sew the other piece to the other end and your center patch will be 3" x 4 1/2" (Notice how the 3" measurement hasn't changed)

If you sew pieces all around then you will use up 1/4" on the top, and 1/4" on the bottom (and this measurement will be subtracted from the height). Then you will use up 1/4" on the left side and 1/4" from the right side (and this measurement will be subtracted from the width).

barny 05-23-2012 10:13 AM

Because you're taking the same 1/4 inch off the top and bottom as you're taking off the sides. You can't add it up.ha.

Lavada 05-24-2012 02:45 AM

Tricky for a lot of people huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paulswalia 05-24-2012 03:34 AM

Think of it this way, a 3.5 in square is that measurement ACROSS the square, not 3.5 across plus 3.5 top to bottom, so you only take off the quarter inch seam two times, because that is what affects the measurement across the square. Does that help? Your plan for a cheat sheet is a good one. I copied one from a magazine a long time ago and it lives by my machine.

ghostrider 05-24-2012 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by callie8799 (Post 5237501)
but I just can't get my head around the reasoning (tell ya, I'm not good at math reasoning) if I taking a 1/4 inch off each side (1/2 " total for width and 1/2" total for length) that still gives me 1" taken off for seam allowances. why isn't that calculated- for 1/2 off width + 1/2 off length = 1").

Come at it from the other way. Your 4" cut square is 4" wide by 4" high...or 8" total if you combine them. If you then subtract the 1" of seam allowances, you get 7". Divide that in half (because it's a square and length and width are the same) and you get a 3½" square. Does that help you see it?

If you consider both directions (length and width) for one element (the seam allowances), you have to do it for the other as well (the square sides).

ziegamomma 05-24-2012 05:10 AM

I understand the math, and I understand the confusion. Sometimes you just have to believe and take that leap of faith and cut the way the other quilters say to cut. Understanding will come when you cut and sew. In my case, understanding comes slowly....thank you patient quilting community!

Latrinka 05-24-2012 05:14 AM

Sometimes you just have to Not think too much! LOL!

pls1946 05-24-2012 05:25 AM

I so agree that overthinking can be your worst enemy!!