Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cover Wonder Clips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cover-wonder-clips-t265878.html)

Dreaming 06-01-2015 08:23 AM

Cover Wonder Clips

I was wondering what each person. that has these clips could tell me the different things you use them for in quilting. Thank you in advance.

Onebyone 06-01-2015 08:33 AM

I use the Wonder Clips instead of pins whenever possible. They are great for matching seams. And I love how they look like red jewels when in a pretty container. I like pretty things when I have a choice.

tessagin 06-01-2015 08:34 AM

Helps to hold paper to fabric like applique and such as binding in place while you work on it. Just like another clip. Some use them instead of pins when sewing around edges. I prefer the binder clips you can get at the supply stores. It's all about preference.

Chasing Hawk 06-01-2015 08:39 AM

I love these things! I use them for things not even sewing room related such as:

when I am making dog collars out of para-cord
holding pattern pieces together (such as lengthening and shortening)
clipping small pattern pieces so I don't lose them. (in place of a paper clip)
pin my braided ponytail to my shirt collar, when basting a quilt on the floor (when the gremlins steal my hair clip)
holding lace to ribbon in place to baste on what I am sewing

janRN 06-01-2015 08:49 AM

They work very well when paper piecing. Pins are difficult to push thru the layers of fabric and paper without distorting the pieces; holds layers of paper & fabric together to sew the sections together and are easily removed while sewing seams. I also use them for long seams even when not paper piecing, again because they don't distort or move the fabric. They're great for attaching binding.

The advantage I've found with the Clover clips over office binding clips is the ease of removal when sewing towards them; with little pressure they slide right off the seam line being sewn toward usually without stopping. I found the office clips held a little too tight, had to stop sewing to remove them. (I still use office clips when my project is too large for the number of red clips I have).

Onebyone, have you seen the new packages of Clover clips? Lots of sparkly colors--you'll like them LOL!

Chasing Hawk 06-01-2015 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 7213479)

Onebyone, have you seen the new packages of Clover clips? Lots of sparkly colors--you'll like them LOL!

Jan,
You evil woman!.............lol

I have to wait awhile, I spent my mad money on a $100.00 set of headphones.
I have those sparkly clips on my wish list.

silliness 06-01-2015 11:15 AM

-For organizing my blocks, I use them as paper clips to clip a number/letter on each block or to clip all of a set of blocks together.
- For holding the binding in place while I sew it on.

Chasing Hawk just gave me a great idea to pin my ipod headphones to my shirt when I am quilting.

Quilty-Louise 06-01-2015 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use them for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not just in the sewing room either.

Here is photo of one of my MAIN uses for the binding clips.

I use the clips to hold the cord of my earbuds to my shirt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521271[/ATTACH]

Grammahunt 06-01-2015 11:52 AM

I used them as a 3rd hand--to hold my fabric to my cutting mat so I could use one hand to hold the fabric apart and (sadly) my other hand to use the seam ripper.

I have also used them while quilting on my Sweet 16. I put a piece of fabric around my neck, and clip the quilt to each side to help prevent drag. The space in front of the needle is where I have a problem with drag. Problem solved.

Onebyone 06-01-2015 12:19 PM

I have the multi colored ones! My DD saw them and knew I would want them so she surprised me with two packages. I haven't opened them yet though. I wore a clip on each year to guild for Show and Tell. I don't have pierced ears so these clips go perfectly for quilt classes and quilt shows. Not many notice but a few that do love it. LOL