Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Craftsy quilt kit accuracy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/craftsy-quilt-kit-accuracy-t280853.html)

Kas 07-29-2016 10:53 AM

Craftsy quilt kit accuracy?

I am really wanting to order the kit for Amish With a Twist II by Nancy Rink from Craftsy since it is on sale. Has anyone had any trouble with being shorted on fabric in kits by Craftsy? I'm just a little hesitant since I have heard of problems like that on other sites.

Thanks, y'all!

Kathy

Onebyone 07-29-2016 12:14 PM

I haven't had a problem so far. I have bought kits from Craftsy and Connecting Threads. Don't oversize all your cuts to trim down is the best advice I can give you.

ckcowl 07-29-2016 12:24 PM

I've purchased and participated in many sew alongs/ boms/ classes from Craftsy . I've never been shorted , they have always been generous. Also, the time I cut up the incorrect fabric for a project they replaced it for me quickly.

franc36 07-29-2016 02:27 PM

I have purchased many quilt kits from Craftsy. All of them have had enough fabric. There is one site from which I sometimes purchase kits. There have been times that I have had only 1/8" fabric left over. I know that I have to be very, very accurate when cutting their fabric. With Craftsy kits, I have never had a problem. I'll admit I am a real Craftsy fan. I love their prices on sewing notions.

TeresaA 07-29-2016 04:27 PM

I just received some fabric from Craftsy today. It was not a kit, but a pack of single yard cuts (tossed ring batiks, beautiful!). Many were exactly a yard to the thread (how do they do that! ;-)), but a few were a little short, like a quarter inch. One was ~3/4 inch short. None was over. I wrote them and am hoping to benefit from their customer service which I'm told is great. However, I may just be returning the fabrics. I also ordered a kit, which I'll very possibly or likely return unopened. I don't want to be shorted on a kit.

So buyer beware. Any of the stores can short you.

If a little bit of shorting didn't matter, certain stores wouldn't short people. And if it was just human error, some pieces would be over. Somehow the "mistake" tends to typically favor the store.

Side topic: Fabric.com doesn't do 37" anymore, at least not for me. I'd love a list of shops that cut a tinch extra, but won't hi-jack this thread for that.

Anyway.... ;-).

TeresaA 07-29-2016 05:35 PM

Also, the fabric allowance is greatly determined by the pattern designer. If you order the kit, figure out the actual yardage needed right away before cutting, so if the combination of pattern designer yardage allotment and Craftsy's tendency toward less generous cuts might create a problem, you can return the kit within the 30 days.

quiltingshorttimer 07-29-2016 07:20 PM

when doing any kit, two pieces of advice:don't leave it in storage for several years so if there is a problem the store can address it quickly and 2) read through the full instructions before you start cutting to make sure the pattern doesn't have specific cutting instructions--done both!

Kas 07-29-2016 10:17 PM

Thanks guys! If I order the one I am thinking of I will save $30 off the designer's site. Of course, it might not matter if I can't convince my hubby I NEED it for my birthday (in February ;) ). He just bought my Christmas gift. Lol! The Union Blues kit by Barbara Brackman for Moda.

ManiacQuilter2 07-30-2016 03:15 AM

I wouldn't be concern. They seem to have a very excellent customer service.

Onebyone 07-30-2016 07:30 AM

If possible I buy a fat quarter bundle of the fabric line used in a kit because I will make a new block before ripping it out if I mess up. I usually use the left over fabric in the backing