Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crayola Washable Markers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crayola-washable-markers-t156253.html)

Bamagal 09-27-2011 10:15 AM

I read here that you could use Crayola Washable Markers to mark quilts. I have to say, I was a little worried about doing so. I usually use the blue markers, but my material was pale blue and I couldn't see the blue marks. So, I tried it. I marked a baby quilt in February with the yellow and the orange marker. I made a mistake with the orange, and tried to clean the marks enough to fix the mistake and found that the color bled into other areas-making a mess, but I was able to fix the mistake.

Then I started hand quilting. I've been quilting off and on since February. Yesterday, I finished it. I soaked the quilt in hot water (the crayola box said to use hot water) to remove the marks-praying that they had not been in the quilt too long. My quilt came PERFECTLY CLEAN!! Boy was I relieved!

I'm still not sure I would use the darker colors, but I won't hesitate to use the orange and yellow again. :-D :lol:

Havplenty 09-27-2011 10:20 AM

i use tailor's chalk to mark with i get from my lqs for $.25 a piece. they have it in white or red.

also a tip from my years of sewing is to use a sliver of soap. soap comes in many colors (for marking colored fabrics) and washes right out. i used the leftover soap pieces that had a chance to harden with being wet and sitting out in the air.

wraez 09-27-2011 10:21 AM

good to know! My dd last week asked me about using markers on some fabric for my granddaughter for school. My dd is NOT a quilter, doesn't own a sewing machine. Given that she only had to mark the fabric for blocks, I told her not to worry, cuz once the kids cut along the marker lines and then the 1/4in seam it would be fine.

Now I can let her know that it indeed washes out.

humbird 09-27-2011 10:25 AM

So happy that your quilt turned out ok. I wouldn't have been so brave to use the markers on the quilt without doing a test 1st! Glad to hear about the markers. Will have to purchase some soon. Thanks.

Helovesme 09-27-2011 10:38 AM

Good to know, thank you!

crafty_linda_b 09-27-2011 10:40 AM

This is good to know...I haven't tried them so appreciate the testimonial from you...so glad it had a happy ending for you..sooo where is the picture of the finished project?? crafty_linda_b

quiltsRfun 09-27-2011 10:52 AM

Crayola markers worked for me as well with no problems.

cassiemae 09-27-2011 10:55 AM

I use the Crayola Washable markers all the time and have never had a problem with them. I swear by them and I am
glad yours turned out.
:-D

sweetpea 09-27-2011 10:58 AM

Thank you for late us know I have been hesitate to use them until now.

LoriEl 09-27-2011 12:42 PM

I bought them a few weeks ago but haven't experimented with them yet. Thanks for your research!