Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crayola washable markers?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crayola-washable-markers-t95896.html)

cassiemae 02-02-2011 01:21 PM

I use them to mark my quilts all the time and have never
had any problem.
:thumbup:

kamaiarigby 02-02-2011 04:25 PM

I used a bright pink Crayola marker, when I had finised quilting I hung the quilt on the cloths line and hosed it down with the garden hose, all the markings dissappeared like magic, never to reappear
Dale
New Zealand

suern3 02-02-2011 04:37 PM

I used a mechanical pencil with #2 lead to mark a scrub top I made for my daughter. It was white background with pastel hearts, actually was quilt fabric. Marked pockets on the front and then decided not to sew the marked lines, so very obvious. I sprayed the pencil lines with Oxyclean spray and then washed by hand with detergent because I'm in my motorhome, no washing machine. Anyway--- the Oxyclean spray took the pencil lines right out. I use the same pencil to mark lines on my quilt piecing. Simple and works well, not on black, of course! :)

IBQUILTIN 02-02-2011 06:10 PM

Try soaking your quilt in BIZ for about 1/2 hour before you add detergent to the wash And be sure to use cold water

MarySews 02-02-2011 06:35 PM

I teach elementary art and last week we were doing a crayon resist (white crayon snowflakes to be painted over) Acouple of the children could not make their snowflakes show; I couldn't figure it out. I tried a new mark on a piece of paper, thinking shey had not leaned down enough. As I checked the brand of crayon, I saw the little word "washable" aha! the watercolor paint was washing the crayon off the paper so it barely showed. My only experience and on paper, but I would think it would wash out with warm water and soap.

Tweety2911 02-02-2011 07:02 PM

Was told to wash in warm water with detergent and the marks come right out.

jpthequilter 02-02-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by sewitseams

Originally Posted by nativetexan
rats girl. you should have told me!! kidding. next shopping trip, more wash out blue markers.
the Fons & Porter chalk marker pencils are not my favorite either. sigh.

i used the fons and porter pencils on a small table topper that i hand quilted. it is 3 years old and i still don't have all the marks out, but i use it any way. i even e-mailed them and all they said was try the mr. clean magic eraser -- that didn't work either. i will try the baby wipes idea, even though it has been a while. thanks for the post. interesting subject.

This is going to blow your minds , but the best way to get carbon / pencil marks out of fabric, is use butter! butter them and wash them in hot ish water and detergent.
If it does not all come out, do it again.
I often wash twice.
The reason is the carbon molecules bind /stick to the oil in the butter, and wash out with the butter.
(It works for diamonds with grease too!)
By the way, butter gets out dirty car oil stains too...
If the stain is dried in, leave the butter in overnight, or even a couple of days, it will still wash out.
J

goldendog55 02-02-2011 07:14 PM

When I took a class at Quilt University, these markers are what the teacher told us to use to mark our quilt patterns. She said just to soak them afterwards. Worked for me.

KarenBarnes 02-02-2011 07:23 PM

I just heard of Frixion pens this morning. Did you know you can buy them at Staples for $5.98 for a three pack? You can also get them in colors.
Do all the colors wash out???[/quote]

Figures, I spent $4 each for the Frixion pens at the quilt show! Still going to give them a try!

yngldy 02-05-2011 07:06 PM

Have used the Crayola fine line washable pens for years. Just be sure you are using Crayola. Picked up another brand by mistake and it was hard to get out. With the Crayola, I just wash the quilt after I am finished quilting and all goes away. Just need to follow the directions on the package as to washing. Don't remember any particular color that gave me any trouble. Maybe it makes a difference if they have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Or the weather?, humidity vs dry areas, etc? Usually buy a new box when school starts and they are cheap.