Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crayon quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crayon-quilting-t17374.html)

Dolphyngyrl 03-08-2009 07:35 AM

Has anyone ever done it, i want to make one for my baby, instead of applique cause it takes too long, are there any special techniques i should know

mimisharon 03-08-2009 08:39 AM

I took a class on this. It's fun and easy. After you've done your picture on muslin or cottons, whatever you want to use as your base. Lay paper towels over the crayon picture, iron with hot enough setting to melt the crayon into the paper towel, replace towel until you get all the wax off. (No more color comes up on the paper towels)

Don't try to scrimp on the paper towels, you'll smear the picture if you run the iron in normal ironing motions. I set my iron down, leave for a minute or less, then pick it up and set it down on the next section.

You'll love this easy method, but if you want bright bright colors you may want to color and iron more than once.

Happy 'fast' picture quilting!
Sharon

littlehud 03-08-2009 05:51 PM

These always sound so cute. Does anyone have a picture of one they have done. Would love to see it.

Skeat 03-08-2009 06:13 PM

anthter way to do this is to have your pattern on your muslin...go dig out all those parts of broken crayons, half ones, etc. then peel off the paper, drop the crayons by color into an old muffin tin, set it in an electric skillet that has water in it(and the skillet is on and hot!)....the crayons will melt quick and once they have, actually 'paint' the crayon thick where you want it. I tape my fabric on an old newspaper to hold it in place. This is fun!! Once your pattern is done, then put that piece of crayoned fabric between newspapers...iron. You will need to have extra papers on hand to keep melting. You will have a great time w/this!

For those wanting to batik theirs....You can also do this, and when the crayon is dry on the fabric.....when project is finished w/the crayon painting...wad it up, straighten, and do this again. Then place colored fabric back on newprint...and, using a paint brush, paint ink (can pick up at hobby lobby in jars)across the whole picture. It will run between the cracks, even if it isn't real visible. When you iron as above...you will have your homemade batik!:0)
Make sure your crayons are the 'safe' crayons for the little ones. I always stick w/crayola. Just some tidbits....Skeat

littlehud 03-08-2009 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skeat
anthter way to do this is to have your pattern on your muslin...go dig out all those parts of broken crayons, half ones, etc. then peel off the paper, drop the crayons by color into an old muffin tin, set it in an electric skillet that has water in it(and the skillet is on and hot!)....the crayons will melt quick and once they have, actually 'paint' the crayon thick where you want it. I tape my fabric on an old newspaper to hold it in place. This is fun!! Once your pattern is done, then put that piece of crayoned fabric between newspapers...iron. You will need to have extra papers on hand to keep melting. You will have a great time w/this!

For those wanting to batik theirs....You can also do this, and when the crayon is dry on the fabric.....when project is finished w/the crayon painting...wad it up, straighten, and do this again. Then place colored fabric back on newprint...and, using a paint brush, paint ink (can pick up at hobby lobby in jars)across the whole picture. It will run between the cracks, even if it isn't real visible. When you iron as above...you will have your homemade batik!:0)
Make sure your crayons are the 'safe' crayons for the little ones. I always stick w/crayola. Just some tidbits....Skeat

this sounds so cool. I can't wait to try this.

Rose Marie 03-09-2009 06:45 AM

I bought a set of Prang crayons at the quilt show. It is a big box with lots of colors. They are softer than other brands so color on cloth better.
I made one sample that I plan on washing to see how it holds up.
It is alot of fun to do. I bought some color books at the dollar store to make a kids quilt with.
The book Faux Applique by Helen Stubbings has some great patterns in it.
She uses pencils but the crayons work just fine.

Skeat 03-09-2009 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I bought a set of Prang crayons at the quilt show. It is a big box with lots of colors. They are softer than other brands so color on cloth better.
I made one sample that I plan on washing to see how it holds up.
It is alot of fun to do. I bought some color books at the dollar store to make a kids quilt with.
The book Faux Applique by Helen Stubbings has some great patterns in it.
She uses pencils but the crayons work just fine.

Those sound really interesting! How do you use them exactly and is there a way to set the color? I wonder if these are what you see on the Crab Apple stitcheries. Please endulge!:)Thanks Skeat

Rose Marie 03-09-2009 07:52 AM

You color in the design after you outline with a pigma pen. You can shade the colors just like an oil painting. Then you press with a cover of paper towels to remove excess crayon. They say the color stays but I am going to test with it and see how it holds up after several washings.

Skeat 03-09-2009 09:25 AM

Thanks Rose Marie...I hope you can post some pics of your before and after experiment!:)I'll be glad to know the turn-out ..Skeat

Rose Marie 03-09-2009 09:29 AM

Wish I could. I got a digital camera for Christmas and downloaded to my computer but cannot get it to transfer to the board.