Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crazy quilting... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crazy-quilting-t16563.html)

Mousie 02-21-2009 09:32 AM

waaa! how did I miss this post?
Shemjo wrote:
I did a few patches with ugly fabrics and a new machine using all the fancy stitches for embellishments and the pets LOVE it! :D
I haven't tried a really NICE one yet, but have been collecting for YEARS! LOL This might (you notice, I said might,) be a good place to use some of my treasures. They would make a nice album cover, for the scrap bookers! :D Or an eyeglass cover! Or something not too large and overwhelming! Have many books on the subject, but I am spending WAAY too much time on this site to get all my quilting done. Choices, What's a gal gonna do! :?

I too, have been collecting satins and velvets etc....haven't snitched a tie yet, lol. I also have some of the silk ribbons, but they are so bee u ti ful, and my hand embr. is rusty...not much since a teen :shock: ...I think many of us, are accomplishing a lot of stuff, just not all quilting...but, alas, it has become a true love for me...but, I am supposed to be 'banking' and 'doing bills' right now,....so....loved everybody's pics...oh, gets my motor running, but still spinning my wheels on this, cause life is calling me to do other stuff, before lights go out and phone gets cut off. gotta talk to my chilluns and grandbabies....YIKES, grandbabies - phone....gotta go! :D

JoanneS 02-21-2009 03:04 PM

Re old ties. Several years ago I bought 2 big BOXES of ties from (I don't remember). I tossed them in the washing machine, figuring that the ones that didn't make it should be thrown away anyway. They all survived, and most of the stains came out. I didn't put them in the dryer - didn't have THAT much courage! You should have seen my clothes line! My husband thought it was so funny that he took pictures. If I knew where they were, I'd post them

Next came the BIG job of unsewing them and removing the interlining. I sorted them @ color and foundation pieced a bunch of burgundy and gold blocks, intending to make a quilt. That turned out to be the year that my granddaughter asked for a red robe, so I used the blocks on the robe. Fortunately, she asked for an extra big robe, and she hasn't grown much, so she's still using it!

Foundation piecing is perfect for old ties, because they are made on the bias.

k3n 02-22-2009 08:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I asked the girl at quilt group if I could show you all her bag and she was pleased to be 'famous'! So here it is. The black fabric is a kind of velour and I think it gives a lovely, antiquey victoriana effect. Her name is Marie-France, by the way. In the photo you can see she's embroidered her initials on one of the patches.

K x

Crazy bag side one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26474[/ATTACH]

crazy bag side two!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26476[/ATTACH]

sewsewquilter 02-22-2009 09:56 AM

Great bag! Thank her for sharing. :D

k3n 02-22-2009 10:07 AM

Will do!

K x

Mousie 02-22-2009 04:09 PM

that's really great embroidery and i love the velour fabric. tell her thank you, k. you love us! :D

Mousie 02-22-2009 04:14 PM

forgot to say, k, that I love your crazy quilting too, lol. I have a small bin that i have labeled just for crazy quilting, sometime in the future. Probably a tote bag or pillow will be my first project. I was given a lot of 'embellishments' by a friend. Now I owe her a lap quilt. Hmmm, could use some of those hex's I was talking bout. woo hoo! thanks for jogging my light bulb, k! :lol:

k3n 02-22-2009 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
thanks for jogging my light bulb, k! :lol:

You should produce a dictionary of sayings and expressions, - 'The Quiltncrazy Book of Words!' I LOVE 'em!!! :D

K x

collettakay 02-23-2009 07:56 AM

Wow! The tote is a really good idea.

Mplsgirl 02-23-2009 08:25 AM

Oofdah! (That's the extent of my foreign language prowess). You ladies are too funny!