Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   crazy quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crazy-quilting-t6798.html)

Izy 05-09-2008 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barb M
Wow, that is beautiful! But i don't get it. How did you make the flower? And how did you seal up all the raw edges. Did you seal the edges with the embroidery, or did you zigzag over them first? What if a machine doesnt do embroidery, can a person still do this?

Barb m - The centre piece was already appliqued I used what we call bondaweb and machined around it. (I have a few of these - I was going to use them in my big quilt (still in progress) as corner stones, but changed my mind...

Most machines have zigzag or satin stitch, or blanket stitch, infact any of these will do. If you fuse them down on a piece of muslin, or as I have done here with fusible stabilizer then all you have to do is overstitch the edges. If you look at the different stitches you can see some would be better than others, I think a closer denser type stitch would be better, as long as there is an overlap of fabric, and depending on what the use of the item is going to be for, it is just like raw edge applique.....does that sound any clearer ??????

Barb M 05-09-2008 01:33 PM

Oooooh, ok lol i get it now :)

patricej 05-09-2008 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
I think we have had this conversation before

but ... but ... which one of me did you you have it with? :mrgreen:

Izy 05-09-2008 01:47 PM

Think she was called something like Itsmaturntatalk...... :lol: :lol:

DA Mayer 05-09-2008 05:44 PM

Back when I was in 4-H in the early 70's, I don't remember how all the material was put together, but we learned all kids of embroidery stitches around the different fabrics.

ShellyQ 05-09-2008 05:52 PM

Lol :lol: Patrice, I remember that song from when I ws a little un, used to sing it with the Brownies when we went on camp

sunflower 05-09-2008 06:10 PM

Izy - Do you leave the edges raw and then top stitch them with things like zigzag stitching or do you turn the edges under first? If you leave the edges raw would it work for pillow cases since there is a lot of wear on them? I appreciate your comments. Rita

Izy 05-10-2008 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by sunflower
Izy - Do you leave the edges raw and then top stitch them with things like zigzag stitching or do you turn the edges under first? If you leave the edges raw would it work for pillow cases since there is a lot of wear on them? I appreciate your comments. Rita

Morning Rita,

If the project is going to have a lot of wear and tear, I suggest you bond it first to a foundation of either muslin/fine cotton or a stabilizer as this version of crazy, is raw edge. If you overstitch it with a dense embroidery stitch or plain old zigzag or satin stitch it will be fine!!

Just have a go and see what you think :D

Butterflyspain 05-10-2008 09:15 AM

Izy you are just too clever. I love that. Like the stitches too. You have just given me an idea for the quilt that I am making and I did not want to do windmills and stars, that is just the job.

Elle

Izy 05-10-2008 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Izy you are just too clever. I love that. Like the stitches too. You have just given me an idea for the quilt that I am making and I did not want to do windmills and stars, that is just the job.

Elle

Now you know how much time I spend surfing the net....I have learnt sooooo much here too!!! :D