Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Critical of own work? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/critical-own-work-t55958.html)

quilterken 07-24-2010 03:49 AM

I'm sure this has been the topic of many discussions, but it always comes up in my quilting world.

Why are we so critical of our own work. I know that we are not all that way, but some of us bash our work at every chance. You know the type. You say "nice quilt" . They say " Oh it is Ok, but don't look at the poor points" or "It is not that nice, my quilting is just terrible".
We would never say to another quilter, "you did a crappy job on that one, what were you thinking?"

We should all take an oath... I will not talk poorly of my own work. I will love everything I do....

My mother always said if you don't have anything nice to say....

janRN 07-24-2010 04:30 AM

I am my own worst critic. I joined a table runner swap (my first swap) and made THREE table runners before I decided which one to send LOL! And then I was still nervous about whether my swap partner would like it. I don't post a lot of pics of my work on here but when I do, I sit and stare at the "submit" button for ages before I hit it. Do ya think I'm insecure???

quiltinghere 07-24-2010 04:54 AM

I agree and will take the oath

I will accept compliments from everyone on my project.
I will graciously listen to opinions during the quilting process and make my own decisions on changes, if any :).
I will not point out any flaws to anyone once the project is completed.
I will tell people "I planned it that way" if they find any flaws. :) :) :)

Laura3 07-24-2010 05:01 AM

Good Morning...
I had a friend who had a small store where she sold her art work. Everytime someone came and complimented her she did the same thing. Brought up everything that was wrong with it and why she would do it differently next time. Sales were not going well.. She then hired her mother who banished her to the back office. Sales went through the roof, because our mothers think our work is always amazing! She was her best sales person! When ever I need a boost, I just show it to my mom.....

sueisallaboutquilts 07-24-2010 05:15 AM

Ken, this is such a great thread! Somewhere in my pea brain I think that my quilts must look like the photos in whatever I get my inspiration from!! Now tell me- what book, pattern etc do you find a non-perfect looking quilt !??? It would be like a cook book with unappealing pics of great recipes !! Well, sort of, you get my point!
Thanks for the great advice- I'll take it!!! :D

grann of 6 07-24-2010 05:26 AM

Deep down inside we are insecure and need the praise of others. I am critical of my work, but am also realistic, that life is not perfect and we wouldn't be happy if it was. So why should our work be perfect? It wouldn't look handmade if it was perfect. My mother used to tell me when I was little and she had made me a dress. You'll never see it on a trottin' horse. She made me hem all my dresses she made, and naturally they weren't perfect.

quiltingfan 07-24-2010 06:17 AM

I totally agree. It home with me when someone asked my husband if it was relaxing to watch me sew. He said no because she stresses over everything she does.(He was in the hospital at the time due to heart pains and I was hand sewing.) That made me right there and then to stop complaining or stressing over all my mistakes and just enjoy the process. I didn't even point out the huge mistake I made on the one for my bed I just pieced together. ( It is true nobody can tell unless you tell them )

will take the oath.

Lady Shivesa 07-24-2010 06:21 AM

I think I tend to do this with anything and everything - from how I look to what I write, to what I sew. It's really a habit for me now.

But as insecure as I can be about my work (quilts, stories, etc), there's always that part of me that loves it anyway. Like it's my kid. Yeah, I know it's got flaws and it's certainly not perfect. But the quirks make it lovable.

Maybe that's why I find it painful (but good!) when people critique my writing. I'm like "ouch, don't make fun of my baby!"

2K 07-24-2010 06:51 AM

We made an Elvis quilt for a 13 year old girl. She was over the moon because she just loves Elvis. Next thing you know, she wants us to teach her how to make a quilt. She wants to make a baby quilt for her soon to arrive niece.

Once her quilt was pieced, DH was teaching her how to quilt it on the LA. She was about to cry, saying it wasn't going to look right, that he should quilt it for her.

We asked did she think her Elvis quilt was perfect and she said "Oh YES!" I then told her about a couple of "issues" with it. Told her see, she didn't notice the issues on the Elvis quilt. Nobody would notice her issues with the baby quilt either. She finished, and she was THRILLED with it.

I think all of you do beautiful work, and even if there is a flaw somewhere, hey, you STILL did beautiful work. Think how many people see your work and wish THEY could do something "that beautiful"!

quilterken 07-24-2010 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I agree and will take the oath

I will accept compliments from everyone on my project.
I will graciously listen to opinions during the quilting process and make my own decisions on changes, if any :).
I will not point out any flaws to anyone once the project is completed.
I will tell people "I planned it that way" if they find any flaws. :) :) :)

I love this!