Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Curious. How many of you have your own long arm machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/curious-how-many-you-have-your-own-long-arm-machines-t180194.html)

sguillot 02-22-2012 10:10 AM

Hope you get it you will love it.

Elaine433 02-22-2012 11:41 AM

On my wishlist also!

QuilterMomma 02-22-2012 12:14 PM

I truly love having my longarm machine. I just recently upgraded to a gammill classic plus from my old 1992 Nolting that I had for eight years. I am truly blessed with the Gammill. If you decide to get one, be sure to check out Longarm University for a used one that someone is selling. I know the web specials can ge good, but sometimes you can get a good quality used one. Also, depending on where you live, there are some quality dealerships that will give you a good used deal as well. I loved my old Nolting and they are a good starter machine without a doubt, but appreciate the versatility of my Gammill. I am now getting more done on the Gammill than the Nolting because of the longer throat on the gammill. Be sure to get one with a larger quilting space so you can do your 12" squares on point. That was my hold up. Good luck.

Landers 02-22-2012 12:18 PM

I have a Babylock Jewel

kydeb 02-22-2012 12:37 PM

I have a viking 18x8 on imperial frame too! Love it! I make a lot of charity quilts and without it, I couldn't put out the number a month that I do! I've made 6 so far this month!! I have no desire to quilt for anyone but me!! I'm retired and I've re-entered the workforce just so I can afford these big-girl toys!!

omaluvs2quilt 02-22-2012 12:39 PM

I just got a Handiquilter Sweet 16 sitdown mid-arm delivered this morning! I've only played with it, but I think I'm gonna LOVE it. I've been using my Janome 6600P, so this is going to be a breeze I think : )

omaluvs2quilt 02-22-2012 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by paulettepoe (Post 4996721)
i only dream of one.

I just noticed your signature, and I totally agree! My stepdaughter goes to SUU and my brother-in-law has a cabin up at Duck Creek, we visit frequently, LOVE that adorable town!

Lori S 02-22-2012 12:44 PM

I wanted one from the first time I saw one... But being the realist .. I figured out that if I bought the machine I wanted .. how many years of lifespan before I would want the newer better... and the maintienence ... the learning curve... So as much as I so want one its actually cheaper for me to send out about 10 quilts a year to a pro who has LOTS more design ideas and skills.
But I still test them at shows and dream... maybe if I had a huge wind fall of cash...

sylviak 02-22-2012 12:50 PM

I have a Voyager 17 on a Stretch Hinterberg frame. I use it mostly for my own quilts. I have done 3 quilts for pay, but with my kids and 7 grandkids, I stay too busy to make it a business. Besides, I'm with those who would feel pressured if it were a business. It's a hobby for me.

cmw0829 02-22-2012 01:57 PM

I don't have one and don't know if I could ever justify one - financially. I have only quilted one quilt - on a Janome Horizon which wasn't terrible for my first time. I'm sure it will be easier as I do more. Maybe when I stop working - I'll have more time to quilt.