Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cut finger on rotatry cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cut-finger-rotatry-cutter-t124035.html)

Quilter54 05-19-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by tsnana2000
I never really thought about using a rotary cutter while barefoot and you would think I would have since I have knocked scissors off the table and almost into my foot. So far I haven't cut myself with a rotary cutter but I have done it with some really sharp pointed scissors. Talk about feeling dumb.

I was ironing a piece of fabric (barefooted) and the scissors fell off the ironing board. Thank goodness it only cut one of my toes slightly. I hardly ever wear shoes in the house and even if I do it is sandals so I try to be extra careful.

Happy Tails 05-19-2011 05:01 AM

That's probably why Fons & Porter wear a protective glove :) I'm a fainter so when I cut my finger, I did what all good fainters do - I FAINTED, lol Did I learn from it? Do I wear that protective glove - ummmmmm no lol

psquared52 05-19-2011 05:03 AM

When I first started quilting, I used a regular cutter. Found i didn't retracted the blade when I finished a cut and knew I was an accident just waiting to happen. Finally used a great coupon and bought one with the auto retractable blade. Best decision I ever made. Used that 99% of the time now and certainly feel safer.

clynns 05-19-2011 05:06 AM

Yes, and it only takes one time to let you know how not to do it again. Pain, shock, worry (am I going to lose the tip), soreness, then finally relief. Yepper, been there, done that. Pay careful attention to how you hold your rotary cutter, check your edges of your rulers for cracks or deep cuts (it might need replaced), keep your mind focus on object at hand and use a sharp blade. A sharp blade will go through the fabric the first time and you won't have to push so hard. I'm glad your ok. And your finger still has it's pinkie. :-)

damaquilts 05-19-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by luvstitches
Another accident to avoid is rotary cutting with bare feet.
I know a lady that had to have stitches on the top of her foot from the rotary cutter falling fast and hard on the top of her foot.

oh boy I am always barefoot in the house. I can just see this happening to me. I get laughed at because "at my age" once the weather warms up I go barefoot all the time I hate shoes.

quiltmom04 05-19-2011 05:16 AM

Yep - four stitches. the only thing keeping me from getting more was my thumb nail.

Happy Linda 05-19-2011 05:40 AM

I worry about that. I get so involved in my pattern:(

Roberta 05-19-2011 05:50 AM

After reading of all the incidents with the rotary cutters, I finally broke down and bought the Fons and Porter cutting glove. I don't worry as much now about the ruler slipping and the blade cutting across my hand. I am a real klutz so it's possible it could happen ;)

elm 05-19-2011 05:53 AM

Just did that at a quilting class on Tuesday. Put the rotary cutter down without closing it. Hope I don't do that again. It was a very slight cut, but got blood on the cutting mat.. I was embarassed.

Jo Mama 05-19-2011 05:58 AM

just finger nails..... :hunf: