Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To Cut or not to Cut....magazines, that is (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cut-not-cut-magazines-t48835.html)

quiltluvr 06-08-2010 04:13 PM

I decided to tear what I wanted out, put in sheet protectors, then organize in binders. I have too many binders and running out of room to store them. So next I'll go thru what I have in them and reduce. I also save interesting articles, pics of other's quilts as inspiration and fabrics to look up at shops, whatever strikes me.

katmom54 06-08-2010 07:02 PM

I use to cut out recipes...but then ended up with tons of torn paper and it was harder to find what I wanted...I started scanning them into my computer and labeling them as I went...when I got a bunch, I would print them out and make a book of them. I have started that with my patterns too...once they are on a file, you can organize them so much easier...and then give the books/mags to others...recycling at its best.

CoriAmD 06-08-2010 07:11 PM

[quote=LaurieE] here I am years later and I can't do enough redwork. I'm currently making an embroidered quilt for my daughter.quote]

Would love to see pics!

debbieumphress 06-08-2010 07:15 PM

Well.........I keep all my magazines in protective sheets and then in date order in a binder. Each binder has it's own mag. Like Quilter's Home, Fons and Porter, Quiltmaker, etc. Then I put a piece of paper in an empty sheetprotector and as I go thru a magazine, I write down a pattern I like, book and page number. So if I look for a pattern, I take the time to look at the first page and read down and see if it is there. Then on to the next book. I have a lot of other mags that I don't subscribe to and like to pass them on to other quilters. Take them to Guild and leave them on a back table for others. I am by no means an organized person, but have learned from looking for patterns for hours. I have thought about a "recipe" box, put the names of quilts in alphabetical order I find and then put the card in it which shows which magazine, then I go to that binder. Lots of ways to find that "one" pattern you need. Happy quilting.

BellaBoo 06-08-2010 08:32 PM

I had a huge stack of magazines. It was impossible to find anything in them. I loaded them all up and took them to Salvation Army. I thought I'd have regrets but instead I have more space and less clutter. It won't be long before all the quilt magazines will have dvds of all their archived issues available. Quilter's Newsletter has quiet a few years worth out now.

barbgooch 06-08-2010 08:48 PM

I'm such a pack rat for books, fabric, tools, magazines. I can't bear to throw anything away. I keep all my magazines in a bookcase with holders I bought at the dollar store. I've labeled each holder with the mag. titles and date range.

Then I set up an Excel Spreadsheet. Each subscription gets it's own spreadsheet page. I go through each magazine and list the date/issue number, title of quilt pattern, basic block or construction information, then one comment column-in red print-stating if it's something I may want to try.

I've used that index so many times when I am looking for a particular block I want to try or a pattern I want to do. It has saved me a lot of time searching for just the right one.

Okay, I know, it's obsessive/compulsive behavior, but I'm such a nut for organization. But it works!!!

(ps. I've done the same for all my books.)

MistyMarie 06-08-2010 09:06 PM

I just saw an advertisement on TV for a machine that scans items (such as bills and receipts) and helps you organize them on the computer. I have a scanner, but sometimes it is more of a hassle to use than it is worth. So, I really like the idea of having a simple device that scans. Only problem is that I would still have to cut up the magazine to scan each pattern. All the time to scan could be time to quilt!!!

katsewnsew 06-09-2010 03:40 AM

I too have tons of magazines. I started to go thru them, tear out what I wanted, place into those clear plastic inserts and into a 3 ring binder. The rest of the patterns, well, they are still here, can't get the heart to throw it out. Someone will need them. I just cannot throw out a quilt magazine or book! That would be sinful!!!

Julie in NM 06-09-2010 04:29 AM

I tear out the patterns I want and then bring them to the dialysis center. They need mag/cat to look at while waiting for rides or on the machine.

If I tear out lots of patterns, I just toss the rest away.

Patterns go into plastic sleeves and into 3 ring binders. Once a year I go tru the binders and if I no longer like the pattern, I bring them to the quilt group and they go to a new home.

MaryAnna 06-09-2010 04:52 AM

I've indexed my magazines and have listed some patterns, quilts, etc that I'd like to make. I did this on the computer so that I can update the info as the magazines come in. I have categorized according to magazine, then date, then I list the table of contents with ** next to ones that I'd like to make. That way it's much easier to find them. I also have my magazines in those cardboard magazine holders and in specific order with info written on the end of the holder. A little more systematic.
I don't get rid of them because I feel like you do in regards to our taste and skill level changing over time. There are several 'really advanced' quilts in these magazines that one day, I hope to make.
Because I too am getting magazine overload, I've cut back on subscriptions and am being more selective.
And we must face our own realities....in my case, if I did only 1 quilt from every magazine, I still would need to add 100 productive years to my age in order to complete them all! Yes, I too have a lot of magazines! ;-)
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna