Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: To Cut or not to Cut....magazines, that is

I am starting to accumulate a lot of magazines...I know that I can cut pages of patterns/info that I am interested in and put them in plastic sheets/containers/etc if I want to catalog them in some way. I realize that later it would be almost impossible to find a pattern that I have not systematically kept track of.

I would like to offer some of these magazines to others, but would they be willing to have remnants,,,,maybe lacking one or two patterns and instructions?

At the same time, the book lover in me hates to destroy written material. I am always afraid that my taste will change or I will grow in quilting knowledge so that I will be willing to tackle something that now may be too difficult/intimating.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions as to how I can handle this minor "stash" problem?

Blog Entries
    Rather than cutting out the patterns/directions, scan them into your PC. Then you can title them what you want and the magazine stays intact. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Rather than cutting out the patterns/directions, scan them into your PC. Then you can title them what you want and the magazine stays intact. :)
    Then I could give the magazine to someone else.....something to think about.

Great suggestion!!!

I save them and save them and eventually in the garbage they go. I just don't know what I was saving them for.

I have started going through all my magazines because my stash of them is getting unmanageable. I really like the idea of scanning them in the computer. I started out sticky-noting mine, yet I still end up with the large stack. If I scanned in the ones I KNOW I will eventually want to use, I like that I can pass the magazines on to others. Thanks for the idea!

I usually just tear out the all the patterns, keep the ones I want and then I plan to give them to a group - at an RV Park, a quilters guild, someone who can use them. But I like the scanning idea.

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    How clever. Never thought of that! I have been tearing up magazines and putting the patterns in binders. Now I have three giant binders to deal with. Do you find any problems in scanning the inserts for templates or applique patterns?

Blog Entries
    Please dont throw your magazines away. Go thru them and if there is a pattern you want just copy for yourself and either give or sell the book to someone else.

You could scan into your computer or put them in a notebook. Please take the time to put them in an order so you will know which ones you want to make.

You know we all enjoy quilting magazines.

Karen, Craftybear

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Hey everyone- If you get rid of your mags be sure to go through it first! One time I found a pic of my son and his baseball team.
    I donated mine b/c I just had waaaay too many and realized I never looked at them anymore. Haven't regretted it.
    The scanning idea is a good one!!
    I'm with Frances on this one ( the book lover in me doesn't want to deface them ) :D

Blog Entries
    Maybe scan in the patterns, and just keep a binder for templates... You could copy them and that way you know they are the same size as the originals. Sometimes scanning and printing can distort the images :wink:

Blog Entries
    I would prefer the scanning idea because I can't think of anyone who could get much use from a magazine that has its innards missing. ;-) If I did that, I would remove all the best stuff so no one could possibly want the rest! If you don't want to scan them, tear out what you want then take the magazines to one of those yellow and green paper recycling dumpsters that so many schools have. That way everybody wins!! :thumbup:

I used to tear up my old magazines but not any more. Over the years I've discovered that my likes and dislikes have changed. What I once threw away, I now want. Perfect example: redwork. I wasn't interested in embroidery before but here I am years later and I can't do enough redwork. I'm currently making an embroidered quilt for my daughter.

I have 2 plans for my books and magazines -- 1) scanning the patterns into my computer and 2) creating a database of the patterns. Very similar to what JanetM did only instead of being on a rolodex, it's in Microsoft Access so I can sort the information any way I want. I will add one other feature to my database - what the block used to be called before the modern designers changed the blocks' names.

Power Poster
    I just bought a book at a thrift store - looked great - one page (pattern) has been cut out. Not a disaster, but not a day brightener, either.

If it's your own magazines, they are yours to do with as you wish. If you want to recycle them(give them to someone else) - I think it's fair/appropriate to state that pages are missing.

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Maybe scan in the patterns, and just keep a binder for templates... You could copy them and that way you know they are the same size as the originals. Sometimes scanning and printing can distort the images :wink:
    Hm. Good point! That would certainly make for less binder space! :)
    You guys never cease to amaze me with your clever ideas I would never have thought of. So thankful for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Hm. Good point! That would certainly make for less binder space! :)
    You guys never cease to amaze me with your clever ideas I would never have thought of. So thankful for you all.
    This all started when I was glancing through the magazines looking for something easy to practice my applique skills (or lack of). I noted that there were lots and lots of patterns for applique that could be interchanged or combined with other patterns in quilts. If you have a binder with templates only, you can label the template with the original quilting idea, and also use that template on another quilt or wall hanging or such. There are oodles of flower, animal, car, truck, etc. designs that can be interchanged.....

When I get a new magazine, I ALWAYS add the patterns I like to a master list... Name, Mag, date of Mag and what I think I'd use it for... Christmas, theme blocks, baby, etc.

I then leaf through the magazine once or twice more and then file it away by YEAR... Cross referencing like this makes it much easier for me to find a quilt pattern when I want it.

I have saved all my magazines, and when I want to find something I remember reading I can never find the right magazine. I'm beginning to think books are best investment.
    So, what I've been doing now is going thru the magazines, and if I don't see anything interesting I put them in a stack and when I get quite a few I give them to another quilting friend.
    Oh, and I am also letting a lot of my subscriptions lapse.

Blog Entries
    I used to have a huge stash of magazines and decided I wanted to cut back. So in order for me to keep a magazine it had to have at least 3 patterns I loved. I marked those with those narrow plastic sticky notes. If it's a bag pattern, I wrote that on the note. If there was only one pattern I wanted I photocopied it, in color, and placed it into a binder. My friends and I have a system -- once we've looked through a magazine, we cut off the tip of one cover corner. I cut the top right. This way I know when the magazine comes around again I've already seen it. Once all of us have gone through them we donate them to our guild's free table. My kept magazines are in a holder with the name on the label. I can only save as many as the holder can handle. I have a new rule in buying magazines-- it must have at least 3 patterns that I live or it stays in the store. The same goes with buying quilt books. I know I'm saving money that I can now spend on fabric.

I decided to tear what I wanted out, put in sheet protectors, then organize in binders. I have too many binders and running out of room to store them. So next I'll go thru what I have in them and reduce. I also save interesting articles, pics of other's quilts as inspiration and fabrics to look up at shops, whatever strikes me.

I use to cut out recipes...but then ended up with tons of torn paper and it was harder to find what I wanted...I started scanning them into my computer and labeling them as I went...when I got a bunch, I would print them out and make a book of them. I have started that with my patterns too...once they are on a file, you can organize them so much easier...and then give the books/mags to others...recycling at its best.

[quote=LaurieE] here I am years later and I can't do enough redwork. I'm currently making an embroidered quilt for my daughter.quote]

Would love to see pics!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Well.........I keep all my magazines in protective sheets and then in date order in a binder. Each binder has it's own mag. Like Quilter's Home, Fons and Porter, Quiltmaker, etc. Then I put a piece of paper in an empty sheetprotector and as I go thru a magazine, I write down a pattern I like, book and page number. So if I look for a pattern, I take the time to look at the first page and read down and see if it is there. Then on to the next book. I have a lot of other mags that I don't subscribe to and like to pass them on to other quilters. Take them to Guild and leave them on a back table for others. I am by no means an organized person, but have learned from looking for patterns for hours. I have thought about a "recipe" box, put the names of quilts in alphabetical order I find and then put the card in it which shows which magazine, then I go to that binder. Lots of ways to find that "one" pattern you need. Happy quilting.

Blog Entries
    I had a huge stack of magazines. It was impossible to find anything in them. I loaded them all up and took them to Salvation Army. I thought I'd have regrets but instead I have more space and less clutter. It won't be long before all the quilt magazines will have dvds of all their archived issues available. Quilter's Newsletter has quiet a few years worth out now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast