Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Cut or not to Cut....magazines, that is >

To Cut or not to Cut....magazines, that is

To Cut or not to Cut....magazines, that is

Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 AM

When I got my EQ6, I took the paperback manual to a office supply store and had them cut the binding and put a spiral binding on it. Wonder if that would work with copies of the separate pages of magazines? You could bind them up according to year and/or type......and have as many pages as you wanted.

Or.....use the spiral binding on the magazines themselves and have a years supply of magazines in one binding....
Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 PM

I had a large "collection" of sewing magazines (in my garment-sewing days) that I donated to Friends of the Library for their annual sale. I was told the magazines went like hotcakes.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Kas

Did the hanging file thing, too. Tried saving the mags, then putting photocopies in sleeves. Now I am going through all the old mags and tearing out anything I am interested in or might possibly be interested in later on down the road. I saved some whole magazines that were just so chock full of good stuff. In the hanging file, I labled the folders with things like "inspiration", "quilter profiles", "studio ideas", "applique",and so on. And then there is the special folder for my obsession. I was watching one of the early seasons of "Little House on the Prarie" on DVD and saw a wonderful quilt on the Olson's bed. I have been trying to find a way to rotary cut that thing for a couple of years now. So any pattern that looks like it might work, I stick in that file.

Now I am feeling guilt for not donating my old magazines.

Kas
Old 06-11-2010, 03:04 PM

I know what you mean about too many magazines. I thought about scanning and also like the idea of keeping a file for those I want to do someday. Perhaps I could combine the 2 methods by putting them on a CD and creating a file too.
There are a lot of quilting tips and lessons to be had in those magazines. Same way with this site. I downloaded amny techniques from here. I still like the idea of scanningthem to the computer or flashdrive. I could then arrange them to burn a CD. I did this with my knitting patterns.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM

I photo copy the pages and patterns I like. Then the magazine is good yo pass on :D
Old 06-13-2010, 03:00 PM

My daughter and I both have had mag. subscritions (all different) and finally reached a point that we really had to do something with them. Some I have sent to SIL in Maine and some have gone to a new quilter in Conn. Some I am still reading and others I just can't part with. Sometimes it's just a great feeling to hand them over to a "newbie" quilter. what satisfaction.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM

Hey guys. If you have any magazines you don't want or can't use, I would love to have them. I only have one or two. I will be willing to pay postage. PM me.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:17 PM

I used to tear out pattern, stick in page protectors, and store in 3 ring binder. I have three 3" thick binders.

One day went thru them and wondered why I had some of those patterns.

Took them out of the protectors, brought them to the quilt meeting, passed them around and it was like a feeding frenze at the shark tank!

Made me feel good cuz they went to a good home.