Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: To Cut or not to Cut....magazines, that is

I think the scanning idea is great. Yaking it one step further, I would index them and put them on a CD. Since I have had hard drive crashes (one on a computer 2 months old), I think the Cd is the way to go. Use 1 CD for each magazine (Fons & Porter, Quiltmaker, etc).

In reality, I know I will never have the time to make all the quits patterns I have saved. I have tried to be more selective when purchasing magazines, but they just lure me in.

Do you by any chance have the Quilters Newsletter Feb/Mar 2010?
    I'm interested in the Hawaii Sunset 1845 quilt pattern.
    Please PM me if you want to sell it or get rid of it.

I just got an emai from Clotilde advertising a digital subscription for Quilting World, with several back issues included. I guess that is the future.

I like the idea of scanning my magazines. I love that some of the magazines are going digital but there still isn't anything quite as relaxing as sitting on the couch with a cup of tea and leafing through old quilt magazines. The ideas that then come to mind from them.

anyone ever giving or throwing out old magazines please let me know.

Nettie

I have a self-made rule--- Only keep 5 years back. Works for me
    sofar.

am going to have the same problem in a few years...My plan is to look at them and take out what I want. But I know it won't be many as I have printed off many from the internet...I will mark the missing pages on the front of the magazine and then pass it them on....

You can always stick a well read magazine in with one of your swaps. Everyone loves to look through a quilt magazine even if it is one you have seen before. Keep passing them around, don't throw them away!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N
    You can always stick a well read magazine in with one of your swaps. Everyone loves to look through a quilt magazine even if it is one you have seen before. Keep passing them around, don't throw them away!
    Like that idea! What a great suprise for someone in a swap. Even if they have already seen the magazine, it is nice to know that they can forward it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Rather than cutting out the patterns/directions, scan them into your PC. Then you can title them what you want and the magazine stays intact. :)
    this is what I do. I put these quilts in folders so I can find them quicker. The pictures are helpful.

Remember to store on a flash drive.

It is a good icky weather project.

enjoy,
    ali

Rather than cutting out the patterns/directions, scan them into your PC. Then you can title them what you want and the magazine stays intact. :)
    great idea

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    I love quilting magazines and have bought many used ones so please don't throw them away. I go through my magazines time and time again and put paper clips on the pattern pages I like. I may never get them all made but I till love looking at them in the evenings when I am too tired to sew. I would gladly pay postage on magazines that could get thrown away, as long as I don't already have them.
    Wow, you sound just like me!
    I have mine all in those big black magazine holders they sell at Walmart and office supply stores. I label the spines of the holders as to the magazine title, and the time period. I also put skinny post-its on pages of patterns that I think I'll make some day. Since I have a hard time getting to sleep at night, I take a few at a time to bed with me and re-look at the mags until I get groggy. Many times I put post-its on patterns that I would never have thought about before. Sometimes I take OFF a post-it if I no longer have any interest in that pattern. My skills have grown, and my tastes have changed a bit. I only get rid of the very old magazines, such as the ones that have a lot of templates and don't have patterns using rotary cutters.

8-)

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanda_GA
    I have saved all my magazines, and when I want to find something I remember reading I can never find the right magazine. I'm beginning to think books are best investment.
    So, what I've been doing now is going thru the magazines, and if I don't see anything interesting I put them in a stack and when I get quite a few I give them to another quilting friend.
    Oh, and I am also letting a lot of my subscriptions lapse.
    This is what I'm going to do ..... someday, when I'm feeling less lazy than usual. My stack of magazines is becoming a mountain of magazines and there are very few that have anything in them that I want to keep. Except I don't have a quilting friend, so don't know what to do with the rejects. Ah, G'ma Kay says nursing home ... that sounds like a good plan.
    My guild has a trash and treasures table before each meeting. I always take any mags that I have weeded out, with me to guild. When the meeting is over I take a look at the table and the magazines are always all gone. Lots of us do that and other members just grab them right up.

Scanning is my way of doing it and I've never had any real problems.Others can still use the magazine because everything is still in tack.I also list them in the front before putting them in a large binder. That way I know what name and what page it is on.Later if I decide I don't want one I can remove it and put another in it's place.Things cost to much not to be able to share with others.

My magazine collection was getting overwhelming so I cut out the patterns I was interested in and put them into a hanging file, sorting patterns by type, such as scrap, batik, Vintage, florals, etc. Now when looking for a pattern it is so much faster than paging through all my magazines. Being orgainized gives me more time to do the quilting that I so love to do!

I scanned my magazines and stored them on my computer. It took time to do, but I did a few each day. There are several advantages to this method. I can sort and store an article in several different files such as baby quilts, appliqued, and easy. Another advantage is that pages that I wanted with information from 2 different articles, but were back to back, could be saved individually. I then donated my magazines to the senior center where they were greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 1quilt_gma
    Then I could give the magazine to someone else.....something to think about.
    This is what I do since I really hate to tear or cut pgs. out of a mag. I just put the pg. on a copier then put the print out in a plastic sleeve. Magazines just pile up but somebody could use the patterns I didn't like. Most times, I find I may only like just one pattern in a whole mag. so I'm not going to renew any subscriptions again. I'd have to live 150 more yrs. to do all of the patterns I've saved. LOL

I alos have lots of quilting magazines, so i know how hard it is to get rid of them. I will look through them after i have had them for a while keep the ones i want and take the rest to my quilting guild and put a free sign on them. they are gone in a few minutes!

I like the scanning suggestion. That way I can pass on my magazines to my quilting buddy.

Blog Entries
    This is the same method I use. I have tons of magazines and can't bear to get rid of any of them. They are organized by subscription and placed by year and month in magazine holders and put on a book shelf. I have lots of books also. I went through and placed small colored post-its on the ones I really liked and on the end that sticks out, I wrote on it with a Sharpie what kind of quilt it is. That way I don't have to actually open each magazine to get what I want to find. I have magazines from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and beyond. The 60's, 70's and 80's have more patterns in them than do current magazines. I do not want to get rid of them. I'm afraid if I do, then I'll need something that was in there and not find the info or pattern I want.

Blog Entries
    Ditto for me!!

When I got my EQ6, I took the paperback manual to a office supply store and had them cut the binding and put a spiral binding on it. Wonder if that would work with copies of the separate pages of magazines? You could bind them up according to year and/or type......and have as many pages as you wanted.

Or.....use the spiral binding on the magazines themselves and have a years supply of magazines in one binding....

I had a large "collection" of sewing magazines (in my garment-sewing days) that I donated to Friends of the Library for their annual sale. I was told the magazines went like hotcakes.

Kas
    Did the hanging file thing, too. Tried saving the mags, then putting photocopies in sleeves. Now I am going through all the old mags and tearing out anything I am interested in or might possibly be interested in later on down the road. I saved some whole magazines that were just so chock full of good stuff. In the hanging file, I labled the folders with things like "inspiration", "quilter profiles", "studio ideas", "applique",and so on. And then there is the special folder for my obsession. I was watching one of the early seasons of "Little House on the Prarie" on DVD and saw a wonderful quilt on the Olson's bed. I have been trying to find a way to rotary cut that thing for a couple of years now. So any pattern that looks like it might work, I stick in that file.

Now I am feeling guilt for not donating my old magazines.

Kas

I know what you mean about too many magazines. I thought about scanning and also like the idea of keeping a file for those I want to do someday. Perhaps I could combine the 2 methods by putting them on a CD and creating a file too.
    There are a lot of quilting tips and lessons to be had in those magazines. Same way with this site. I downloaded amny techniques from here. I still like the idea of scanningthem to the computer or flashdrive. I could then arrange them to burn a CD. I did this with my knitting patterns.

Blog Entries
    I photo copy the pages and patterns I like. Then the magazine is good yo pass on :D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast