Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: To Cut or not to Cut....magazines, that is

I'm such a pack rat for books, fabric, tools, magazines. I can't bear to throw anything away. I keep all my magazines in a bookcase with holders I bought at the dollar store. I've labeled each holder with the mag. titles and date range.

Then I set up an Excel Spreadsheet. Each subscription gets it's own spreadsheet page. I go through each magazine and list the date/issue number, title of quilt pattern, basic block or construction information, then one comment column-in red print-stating if it's something I may want to try.

I've used that index so many times when I am looking for a particular block I want to try or a pattern I want to do. It has saved me a lot of time searching for just the right one.

Okay, I know, it's obsessive/compulsive behavior, but I'm such a nut for organization. But it works!!!

(ps. I've done the same for all my books.)

I just saw an advertisement on TV for a machine that scans items (such as bills and receipts) and helps you organize them on the computer. I have a scanner, but sometimes it is more of a hassle to use than it is worth. So, I really like the idea of having a simple device that scans. Only problem is that I would still have to cut up the magazine to scan each pattern. All the time to scan could be time to quilt!!!

I too have tons of magazines. I started to go thru them, tear out what I wanted, place into those clear plastic inserts and into a 3 ring binder. The rest of the patterns, well, they are still here, can't get the heart to throw it out. Someone will need them. I just cannot throw out a quilt magazine or book! That would be sinful!!!

I tear out the patterns I want and then bring them to the dialysis center. They need mag/cat to look at while waiting for rides or on the machine.

If I tear out lots of patterns, I just toss the rest away.

Patterns go into plastic sleeves and into 3 ring binders. Once a year I go tru the binders and if I no longer like the pattern, I bring them to the quilt group and they go to a new home.

I've indexed my magazines and have listed some patterns, quilts, etc that I'd like to make. I did this on the computer so that I can update the info as the magazines come in. I have categorized according to magazine, then date, then I list the table of contents with ** next to ones that I'd like to make. That way it's much easier to find them. I also have my magazines in those cardboard magazine holders and in specific order with info written on the end of the holder. A little more systematic.
    I don't get rid of them because I feel like you do in regards to our taste and skill level changing over time. There are several 'really advanced' quilts in these magazines that one day, I hope to make.
    Because I too am getting magazine overload, I've cut back on subscriptions and am being more selective.
    And we must face our own realities....in my case, if I did only 1 quilt from every magazine, I still would need to add 100 productive years to my age in order to complete them all! Yes, I too have a lot of magazines! ;-)
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I had a huge stack of magazines. It was impossible to find anything in them. I loaded them all up and took them to Salvation Army. I thought I'd have regrets but instead I have more space and less clutter. It won't be long before all the quilt magazines will have dvds of all their archived issues available. Quilter's Newsletter has quiet a few years worth out now.
    That's a very good point BellaBoo! Yes, you can get them online when you need them. Great idea!
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

I'm sorry you trash them! I have bought some real treasures at yard sales, or they can be donated to a nursing home where they can bring back wonderful memories and start conversations of "I remember when...."

I make copies of the patterns I think I may like to make, put them in the plastic sheets and TRY to get them into binders, then I get rid of the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda_GA
    I have saved all my magazines, and when I want to find something I remember reading I can never find the right magazine. I'm beginning to think books are best investment.
    So, what I've been doing now is going thru the magazines, and if I don't see anything interesting I put them in a stack and when I get quite a few I give them to another quilting friend.
    Oh, and I am also letting a lot of my subscriptions lapse.
    This is what I'm going to do ..... someday, when I'm feeling less lazy than usual. My stack of magazines is becoming a mountain of magazines and there are very few that have anything in them that I want to keep. Except I don't have a quilting friend, so don't know what to do with the rejects. Ah, G'ma Kay says nursing home ... that sounds like a good plan.

I'm sorry if this is a no-no, but if anyone wants to get rid of magazines I would LOVE to take them off your hands. Of course I would pay postage :)

I am a pretty new quilter still trying to get an idea of what I like. Seems it changes all the time!

I buy used magazines on E-Bay. I can usually get a year's worth for about ten bucks, and if it comes time to pass them on, our library re-sells them.

Oh No!!!!!!!!! My magazines are golden to me!! donate them to your public library or give them to friends that craft. I would love them!

Blog Entries
    I like my magazines and frequently refer to them and always find something I didn't notice before. My taste changes as I become more experienced. I don't purchase every quilt magazine I see, I look through them before I purchase and they have to have two or more ideas/patterns that interest me before I spend my money.

Quote Originally Posted by 1quilt_gma
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Rather than cutting out the patterns/directions, scan them into your PC. Then you can title them what you want and the magazine stays intact. :)
    Then I could give the magazine to someone else.....something to think about.
    We do it all the time in my sewing group. Much easier to catalog.

Blog Entries
    Hi-have not been on for a long time-my pc went bye bye-anyway I would copy & put in plastic sleeves & put in binder & index them in sections of paper piecing-templates- or strip which is what I am doing now--or have a binder for each one this way if pc crashes I would still have my paper copies

I usually copy them on a flat top printer and then catalog
    (Christmas, patriotic, etc....) them for later use.......

I like to copy them as I mark the directions as I work my way through them.

Works for me..........mj

Banned
    I don't throw magazines away. If I find a pattern I like I copy the article on my printer. I then put it in the same type of bags that bought patterns come in. I use the Fons and Porters fat quarter boxes, separated in sections. I then either give the magazines to friends, or I donate them to the thrift store where I volunteer. They really go fast. Gives people a chance to read good quilting magazines for a very low price and it benefits the Women's Center domestic violence shelter for women.

My first thought: box them and send to me!! Second thought: If your local library has are area for free donated magazine, give them to the library. I am always going thru the magazines at my library and am so excited when I occasionally find a quilting book. I don't care if some patterns have been removed...I just love the books. This is the very reason I canceled all of my magazine subscriptions years ago...I just couldn't part with them.

I used to scan and keep on the computer and then one day the computer died. I mean really died...no way to retrieve any files. I had it looked at by professionals in this field, no luck. Lost years of patterns and other docs. So now I scan AND print, store in binders and computer but mags are intact. I bring mags to quilt guild and let people help themselves. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
    I save them and save them and eventually in the garbage they go. I just don't know what I was saving them for.
    I give my mags to the library , they are always glad to get them. Other people can enjoy them after I've kept them as long as I want.

Blog Entries
    I just asked at a LQS if they wanted any mags and was told to check with quilt guilds. they have librarys and might take them.
    now i wouldn't give mags i'd cut anything out of though.

I guess I should learn how to use Access then. I was thinking about using OneNotes, but then I cannot really do a search as easily. Thanks for the idea... I wouldn't have thought about Access because I haven't used it much because I had no reason to learn it. Now I do.

I love quilting magazines and have bought many used ones so please don't throw them away. I go through my magazines time and time again and put paper clips on the pattern pages I like. I may never get them all made but I till love looking at them in the evenings when I am too tired to sew. I would gladly pay postage on magazines that could get thrown away, as long as I don't already have them.

Blog Entries
    Lots of great ideas floating through here.

When I started quilting, a friend gave me a box of her old magazines and there was no better gift. Thumbing through all those pictures helped me focus my quilting and guide my pattern selection. She had cut out of them, so I followed suit and cut out the patterns that appealed to me. Then I passed the magazines along to another quilter. I guess they will make the rounds to where there is nothing left!

I love to flip through the binder I have created of select patterns. I haven't made all of them, but the possibility tempts and tantalizes, and the ideas lead to more. It just wouldn't be the same clicking through computer files.

I've been gifted another huge box of old quilting magazines but am less tempted now to cut out of them, as I am finding that the patterns are landing around me faster than I can sew them. My plan is to scan the fronts, then post pictures here so others can enjoy them. It seems only right to share the wealth, and while a boxful of old magazines isn't worth the postage, there may be some gems that somebody has been looking for that will be worth the postage.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Rather than cutting out the patterns/directions, scan them into your PC. Then you can title them what you want and the magazine stays intact. :)
    I wish I had thought of scanning a year ago, before I tore out the pages/patterns I wanted and trashed the rest. :oops: I had magazines dating back to 1991 and possibly earlier. I could have shared them with others. :shock:
    I do scan them now and can share. :mrgreen:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast