Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cute "quilt" story (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cute-%22quilt%22-story-t63514.html)

DeniseP 09-07-2010 09:09 AM

I wanted to tell my quilting family about my son's quilt request when he was 3 years old.
Andrew, the youngest of four (all sisters) was in a fabric shop with me one day and was looking at all the new novelty fabric. His favorite thing in the world at that time were "trucks and trains and cars" in that order. He found a bolt of fabric that had loaders, graders, bulldozers, you name it. He comes across the store with this huge bolt of fabric in his arms and says, "Mama, can you quilt me this?" The fabric was expensive even for that time, $7.95 a yard. I just could not say no. I bought one yard of the fabric and quilted it to a soft piece of berber polar fleece. It became his truck/nap blanket that he dragged around the house and slept with every night. I found it in the cellar the other day, discarded by my big boy, now 16. I hugged it and washed it, putting it away for his son (or daughter)to play with. I miss my little boy with his truck blanket.

bearisgray 09-07-2010 09:12 AM

Awwwww - I would keep it, too.

Sadiemae 09-07-2010 09:16 AM

Me too!

wolfkitty 09-07-2010 09:16 AM

How sweet! I know what you mean about missing your 'little boy with his truck blanket!' My 'little boy' is 32 and waiting for his first child, also a boy. I also think about when my boy was little, and am curious to see my son with his son. I wonder where my son's fire truck quilt is.

jamh 09-07-2010 09:24 AM

AWWW!! That is so sweet! I have a 5 yr old and I'm not looking for him to grow up!! He is so sweet right now and I know that will change when he hits the teens!! :( :( !

Jim's Gem 09-07-2010 09:24 AM

How sweet!! I miss my little boy too. He'll be 22 in December and is in the Navy. I havn't seen him since Memorial day!!!

DeniseP 09-07-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by jamh
AWWW!! That is so sweet! I have a 5 yr old and I'm not looking for him to grow up!! He is so sweet right now and I know that will change when he hits the teens!! :( :( !

I thought the same thing. My son is 16 and I am still waiting for the terrible twos! He is a great kid. Gets good grades, doesn't sass me, does what I ask (most of the time!). It's a good thing he was born last, I would never have survived the three girls!

Mariposa 09-07-2010 09:46 AM

Cute story! Glad you still have his little blanket!

sewmuchmore 09-07-2010 09:48 AM

Denise, you should write this down the way to told us. When your son has his son, give it to him. This quilt has Beautiful memories of the past and future. Quilts are timeless treasures. :thumbup:

mamaw 09-07-2010 10:05 AM

What a great story...thank you for sharing it with us. I miss my little boys; they are now 36,34, and 31. Family is so important; my boys are my life!! Now I have 2 daughter's in law and 3 grandchildren to add to my joy.