Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: cute "quilt" story

Blog Entries
    I wanted to tell my quilting family about my son's quilt request when he was 3 years old.
    Andrew, the youngest of four (all sisters) was in a fabric shop with me one day and was looking at all the new novelty fabric. His favorite thing in the world at that time were "trucks and trains and cars" in that order. He found a bolt of fabric that had loaders, graders, bulldozers, you name it. He comes across the store with this huge bolt of fabric in his arms and says, "Mama, can you quilt me this?" The fabric was expensive even for that time, $7.95 a yard. I just could not say no. I bought one yard of the fabric and quilted it to a soft piece of berber polar fleece. It became his truck/nap blanket that he dragged around the house and slept with every night. I found it in the cellar the other day, discarded by my big boy, now 16. I hugged it and washed it, putting it away for his son (or daughter)to play with. I miss my little boy with his truck blanket.

Power Poster
    Awwwww - I would keep it, too.

Blog Entries
    Me too!

How sweet! I know what you mean about missing your 'little boy with his truck blanket!' My 'little boy' is 32 and waiting for his first child, also a boy. I also think about when my boy was little, and am curious to see my son with his son. I wonder where my son's fire truck quilt is.

Blog Entries
    AWWW!! That is so sweet! I have a 5 yr old and I'm not looking for him to grow up!! He is so sweet right now and I know that will change when he hits the teens!! :( :( !

How sweet!! I miss my little boy too. He'll be 22 in December and is in the Navy. I havn't seen him since Memorial day!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamh
    AWWW!! That is so sweet! I have a 5 yr old and I'm not looking for him to grow up!! He is so sweet right now and I know that will change when he hits the teens!! :( :( !
    I thought the same thing. My son is 16 and I am still waiting for the terrible twos! He is a great kid. Gets good grades, doesn't sass me, does what I ask (most of the time!). It's a good thing he was born last, I would never have survived the three girls!

Cute story! Glad you still have his little blanket!

Blog Entries
    Denise, you should write this down the way to told us. When your son has his son, give it to him. This quilt has Beautiful memories of the past and future. Quilts are timeless treasures. :thumbup:

What a great story...thank you for sharing it with us. I miss my little boys; they are now 36,34, and 31. Family is so important; my boys are my life!! Now I have 2 daughter's in law and 3 grandchildren to add to my joy.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Cute story!

That is why we quilt, for the love and comfort it brings us when we make them, and to those that use them.

I can relate to that. I saved my three son's blankets for their kids too.

:cry: They DO grow up too fast. Agree with everyone else and write the story down for your grandchild.

Power Poster
    My boys are 25, 21, they were so cute. I wish we could keep them small. Saved there blankets. Glad you saved his quilt, it will be great for the baby.

Definately!!! I made my son a quilt with boats on it....he still has it and he's 35! My daughter has her quilt (flowers) and she's 37. Both got their quilts when they were 3-4 and those quilts have been thru every imaginable situation (camping, sleep-overs).

Aw, that's so sweet. He may not seem to care about it now but I bet he'd be peeved if someone chucked it. Glad you're holding onto it.

Blog Entries
    You better believe he will appreciate it! My first grandchild was born in March - a boy. My son was astonished when I gave him his baby blanket which was made by my mother. They brought the baby home from the hospital in it and I know my mom was smiling in heaven to see her great-grandchild wrapped in it.

Denise,
    This is a wonderful story! I found my son's (now 35 years old) old quilt four years ago when I was going through a cupboard. It had been "painted" with Aunt Martha's fabric/embroidery paint and hand quilted by my sister. One corner was almost worn through where he rubbed it between his two fingers while he sucked his thumb. It took me back to another time.

I got on ebay and ordered a set of the paints and repainted it. Then, I went through the old photo albums and found a photo of him at about 10 months old laying under the quilt sound asleep. I wrapped the quilt and the photo up and took it to him. He loved it and even teared up a little. He is a father to his own son and daughter now, but in my heart he will always be that little boy who rubbed the print off of the corner of his quilt!
    Thanks for bringing back such wonderful memories. :)

Blog Entries
    I have a similar story...only monkey material!! And at the time my son was little nearly 40 years ago, I sure wasn't into quilting, but with the help of my mom, we tied one and added a binding and he called this blanket his "bonkey" blanket. It went everywhere with him!! When his son was born I wrapped this bonkey blanket and gave it to them. His wife at the time quickly turned her nose up at it. I was so hurt. My son returned it to me several months later to keep for another time and for safe keeping. It now rests in my cedar chest. It was well loved by my son and deserves it's rest. LOL!

My DD, 11, still sleeps with her "green blankie" that I made for her when she was a baby every night. It's too small for her to cover up with now but it has to be on the bed. She also takes it with her everytime she leaves home.
    I made a baby blanket for the son of a friend of mine and even as a teen he wrapped it around his pillow to sleep on. Now as a young man with a child of his own he's finally stored it away but only because I made his daughter one of her own.

Oh, that is so sweet. I made a crib quilt for my oldest DGD when she was born. (She is now 11). I made it of slipper satin so it was kind of slick.She loved that quilt and took it with her everywhere. When she was about 2, I made her another exactly like the first to replace the first worn, dirty looking and tattered one. Her mother had kept that one and had stored it away. About 2 years ago, I found it being stored and pulled it out for her to see. She now keeps it on the shelf in her closet amongst her favorite memory stash. So glad she insisted on keeping it.