Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting binding strips lengthwise rather than crossgrain (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-binding-strips-lengthwise-rather-than-crossgrain-t192581.html)

AFQSinc 06-23-2012 09:42 AM

Cutting binding strips lengthwise rather than crossgrain

Does it make a difference? I starched and cut my border strips length wise so that I wouldn't have to piece them. I ended up cutting them narrower than I originally calculated so now I have more fabric than I thought I would. I am planning to use the leftover for the binding. However, I've never made binding from a lengthwise cut before. Will it make a difference in the binding, not having the stretchiness of the crosswise cut?

KSellers 06-23-2012 10:24 AM

It will not make a difference -- I do it all the time.

jcrow 06-23-2012 10:25 AM

That's how a lot of patterns call for the borders to be cut. I, myself, actually like this way of cutting the borders better. You don't have seams, or less seams. It shouldn't make any difference. It would make a difference if cutting on the diagonal.

tatavw01 06-23-2012 10:35 AM

you get less wobbling in you borders, actually you can cut everything that way

dunster 06-23-2012 11:16 AM

Yes, lengthwise is best for borders, but you're asking about binding. For binding you can use those cuts, and I would since they're already cut, but it is generally easier to have a little more flexibility in the binding, which you get by bias or cross cuts.

ghostrider 06-23-2012 11:44 AM

I frequently use lengthwise grain for binding, especially when I've cut lengthwise for the borders like you did. I haven't found it makes any difference at all on a standard rectangular quilt with 90º corners. The corners miter beautifully without the added stretch. Don't worry about it.

gailinva 06-23-2012 03:52 PM

Me too! I cut my borders lengthwise and use the leftover fabric for the binding.

Originally Posted by KSellers (Post 5311087)
It will not make a difference -- I do it all the time.

auntpiggylpn 06-23-2012 04:32 PM

I used to use straight of grain cut bindings only. I did a baby quilt with rounded corners so I knew I needed to use binding cut on the bias. I have to tell you, IMHO, that binding cut on the bias is sooo much nicer to work with! I just made a rectangular quilt and I used binding cut on the bias. It has just enough stretch to it and I was able to get it sewed on just like that (hear my fingers snap?). I am a convert now to the bias binding!! I really don't know what I was so scared about?!?!

hopetoquilt 06-23-2012 05:11 PM

i never cut bindings on the bias. I always cut across the WOF and don't have a problem. I haven't done a binding along a curved quilt (like scalloped borders or a round quilt) so I can't comment on that.

MacThayer 06-23-2012 05:34 PM

IMHO, lengthwise grain is fine for binding a square or rectangular quilt, and especially for smaller quilts. No problem. It is my experience that the larger the quilt, the more easily the binding will go on with either a cross grain or a bias cut binding. Of course, with any edge that is not straight, you'll want a bias cut binding.

And, of course, the above all depends on the experience of the quilter. You do what you're comfortable with, and what works best for you, naturally.