Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting fabric into pieces.......a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-fabric-into-pieces-question-t150350.html)

Edie 09-05-2011 03:43 AM

If I am going to make a sampler, I may cut four or five blocks ahead, put them in a gallon size bag with the pattern and then I can put the fabric that I cut from away so I don't have a huge mess. I keep the plastic bags from one block to another. I have a tab on each bag and write down the name of the block and then I can pick and choose if I like or go by row or however I want to do it. That's fun, isn't it? We all have our own way of doing it! My mom thinks I am nuts, but this works for me!

Happy whatever you are doing. Edie

mjsylvstr 09-05-2011 03:44 AM

the only pieces of fabric that I precut would be any leftovers from a project.

Tell me.... why would you cut beforehand if you don't know for what the fabric is going to be used?

I change my mind too often !!!!!!!!

meemersmom 09-05-2011 04:13 AM

I like to make scrap quilts, and I also like to have that larger piece of fabric in case I'd need it for something else. So, here's what I came up with that works for me. If I'm buying FQs, I buy 2 of each. I put one away, and the other gets cut up into strips and squares (I learned a way to do this that leaves about 1/2" strip from the FQ) and put into labeled bins. If it's yardage, I always buy about 1/3 of a yard more than I need, then cut that extra off before I put it away. That extra then gets subcut into strips and squares. I also do this because my least favorite part of quilting is cutting the fabric. I am much more likely to make something if the "hard" part is already done for me. A little odd, I know, but it works for me.

quiltymom 09-05-2011 05:16 AM

I cut mine as needed ! I used to cut it ahead but was sorry later when I found something I liked better.

quiltmom04 09-05-2011 05:37 AM

I've cut some leftover fabrics into 2 1/2"strips and 5" squares with no project really in mind. But I don't cut "new" fabric up unless I KNOW what I'm going to do with it.

stitcherlady 09-05-2011 05:41 AM

I very rarely precut, but if i do, it is from a piece of scrap fabric strip and i will cut to the cloest size i cn get out of it to a 1/4 inch. That way when i go to use it, if it is too small I wont feel bad because I know it wasnt bigger than what I have. I LOVE SCRAP QUILTS. Making one right now with 1 inch squares.

LindaDeeter 09-05-2011 06:14 AM

I usually don't cut my fabric until I'm ready to use it for a specific pattern ... however, I do keep all my little left-overs in a crazy quilt box. I keep muslin blocks in there too and when I want to just do something 'crazy', I sit down & sew!

themachinelady 09-05-2011 06:21 AM

I never precut until I am ready to do the project either as I change my mind too often or find that piece will go with something else better than where I had planned it. I only cut squares from pieces that are less than a fat quarter. I cut the largest block I can (like a 6 1/2 square first if I can and then gradually work down to an inch and a half. I have boxes I put the cut pieces in by size so I can go to the size I need when I want them. I love scrappy quilts and am using the leader/ender method Bonnie Hunter proposed doing and it has helped several times to have the squares already together when I needed them. Guess I have a little of my Mom in me. She could never see buying material to cut up into a quilt, she said the pioneers used the scraps of material they had to recycle into quilts along with dresses and shirts etc. I used to laugh and tell her the gals of today didn't have all those worn out dresses of cotton or outgrown ones and shirts to cut up so we had to go buy some material. A couple of my friends don't use their scraps so they give them to me and I use them for the quilt club or myself either one as we make quilts for people who lose their homes to fires and also Project Linus quilts and quilts for a local children's hospital so they all get put to good use either by me for one of the kids projects or for the fire quilts. Our little guild is always looking for material anyone doesn't want, as our members are elderly and on fixed incomes and our little treasury is non-existant. So far we have managed, but not sure how much longer we can with material getting to be pricey, so those scraps can come in mighty handy. It's amazing what quilts you can make with scraps. I have a few strips, but mostly are ones that have been given to me, I don't cut my material into strips until I need them, nor do I cut my blocks out until I am ready to start the quilt.

Just my way, but whatever works for a person is the say they should go, quilt police won't come knocking at your door, whatever way you do it and if they do, send them on down the road. Happy quilting to all. themachinelaldy

Homespun 09-05-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I think that a lot of the quilters are cutting their scraps into the strips and shapes. This way, they can make a scrappy quilt in very little time. I personally don't cut my scraps because I am not into the scrappy anything.

Yes, I am a scrappy and I only cut my leftovers in strips and squares. I still have a lot of full pieces of fabric!

lauriequilts 09-05-2011 06:52 AM

I only cut smaller pieces of fabric I have left over from the project I am working on into 1 1/2 or 2 inch strips to use in scrappy log cabin quilts. You can whip one up in no time if the width is precut. It is great for charity quilts.