Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting fabric for Log Cabin block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-fabric-log-cabin-block-t246673.html)

HouseDragon 05-12-2014 11:58 AM

I use Judy Martin's method of cutting all the strips in advance and sorting them by size & colour (light and dark). Cutting goes quickly.

I also use a design wall to create eight blocks at a time. Then I take a photo of the eight blocks and start chain piecing.

If there's a mixup, I have the photo to put things back the way they were designed. The flimsy I'm going to send to a longarmer has at least 150 different light and dark pinks* for my granddaughter who LOVES PINK!

*To get that many, I fudged the definition of "pink" to include pinkish apricots and pinkish purples ..... :o

GingerK 05-12-2014 02:35 PM

I also cut the strips to size. I tried the other way first and became very frustrated with the way some of the fabrics seemed to stretch. Ii hate having to resize the blocks again and again and again. With the strips, I get a much more precise block.

Quiltngolfer 05-12-2014 03:17 PM

I made a flannel scrap log cabin. The directions were to cut all the fabric into 2 inch strips and place them in a paper bag. Next draw out strips randomly and start sewing onto a 3 inch square, cut, put used strip into a different bag, rotate, sew another strip, cut, rotate, etc. It was a fun quilt to make and went fast. I thought it was really pretty and easy. That is the only log cabin I have made so far.

Nammie to 7 05-12-2014 07:01 PM

I don't cut my strips to specific lengths - I trim as I go. With 7 cats it would become quite a battle to keep the strips in the correct order. Also that is the type of project that I pick up and put down so I don't have to worry about putting it away in a certain order.

Barb_MO 05-12-2014 08:29 PM

I cut width of fabric and then sub cut to size of length of logs needed. I like to have a little give when sewing the pieces.

Jingle 05-13-2014 06:50 AM

I always cut WOF. I just follow the pattern or any pattern for scrappy regular log cabins. I have made several quilts that do log cabins differently.

Lori S 05-13-2014 10:02 AM

I try to use the length wise grain, but with scrappy log cabins that is not always possible. Having tried both ways of cutting to length prior to sewing and using strips... I much prefer cutting to length prior to sewing. It keeps in incheck for how acqurate I am sewing the seams. It did not seem to save much time sewing the strip method as I had to cut them once sewn.

I do starch all my fabrics quite heavily prior to any cutting.

ghostrider 05-13-2014 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Some quilters, such as Judy Martin (who has published a couple of books of fabulous-but-complex log cabin quilts), strive for complete accuracy. They cut strips length of fabric (parallel to selvedge) and then cut the logs to exact measurements before starting to sew.

This is how I build log cabin blocks, though I had no idea the method has been 'credited' to Judy Martin. I've been doing it this way since the early-70's, years before Martin published her first book. Since accuracy and precision are very high on my prority list, this way just makes sense for me.

twinkie 05-14-2014 02:30 AM

I always cut WOF and never seem to have a problem. Good luck.

GrammieJan 05-14-2014 04:52 AM

Question:
I have never used starch on the pieces but would like to start, since using a lot of batik fabrics I like the crisp feel when handling pcs to sew. Question is...is it ever a problem for stretching when you iron them?