Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting mats--Which 1 do you's have (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-mats-1-do-yous-have-t234508.html)

tessagin 11-11-2013 03:28 PM

I just wipe mine with a micro-fiber cloth and sometimes one of those micro-fiber erasers. I have no problem with it. I don't set anything other than the smaller 12" rotary mat I have on it and maybe scraps of material. I do rotate my mat, if that makes any difference.

Jo M 11-11-2013 03:47 PM

I have a large blue Dritz Dura Heal mat that I've had for years with NO complaints. Also several smaller Olfa mats, including a rotating one, that have been very durable. I get them when Joann's have 50% or 60% off coupons. Maybe it's just time to treat yourself to a new one. :o)

Weezy Rider 11-11-2013 04:35 PM

I tried a "Big Mat" didn't like it, and got a Martelli. It's thicker than usual, so it feels different. Haven't had it long enough to make a judgment on how it will last.

On the Olfas - It just might depend on when the mat was made, and how long it was stored. I've got a couple of 12x18 that have been hanging around forever. One was kept at work since I preferred an Exacto knife for certain jobs rather than the paper cutter. Using it to cut paper for crafting this week, again using an Exacto, and it feels and behaves just fine.

I bought a rotating 12x12 mat about 3 or 4 years ago, it hasn't been used that much, yet it's dry and cracked. It could have been a bad batch, or else a change of materials in making the mats.

AliKat 11-11-2013 06:16 PM

I am waiting to replace my very old martelli mat. It has lasted the longest and I have worked with it with the best results. My rotary blades seem to last longer also. Am waiting to our big quilt festival to get one from the dealer there.

coopah 11-11-2013 06:24 PM

I have Olfa mats and one rotating Fiskar mat. I like to rotating feature, but not the hardness of the Fiskar mat. My birthday present (and Christmas, too) was a Martelli mat. Since I just got it, I have no idea how long it will last, but several people on here raved about the Martelli mat, so I figured it would be worth a try. If it lasts as long as some of the folks say, then I figure the price will be comparable to buying several of the others.

patski 11-11-2013 06:31 PM

I would soak the mat in lukewarm water with a 1/2 cup of white vinegar, let it sit for at least an hour and then let it dry flat. Fons & Porter say it makes the mat like new

mighty 11-12-2013 08:06 AM

Humm, I have noticed wear on mine also and it really is not that old.

caroloto 11-12-2013 05:13 PM

I allso have been in the mood to buy a new mat and have been checking out Olfa's mats what I have noticed is some of the Olfa mats are thinner then others. The same as a Frisker mat thinness, where some are thicker. On the thicker ones it says self healing but I couldn't find that being said on the thinner ones. So I have to wonder if there are two different mats made by Olfa now.

Dolphyngyrl 11-12-2013 06:20 PM

I have had my June tailor for quite a while

quilttiger 11-13-2013 04:06 AM

I have had the "Big Mat" almost two years now and I notice I have had not to replace the rotary cutting blades as often as I did in the past. I got mine at one of the quilting/sewing expos as a show special. Love it.