Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting mats--Which 1 do you's have (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-mats-1-do-yous-have-t234508.html)

isewman 11-11-2013 09:44 AM

Cutting mats--Which 1 do you's have

I have a ??, for all quilters. I will tell you's I have a Olfa cutting mat. But I'm beginning to dislike that mat. It seems after useing it and cutting material over and over. And flipping it over and over. I'm beginning to see the cut marks from my rotary cutter. I do change my blade also. Is there any ideal's, any of yous can give me. My mat is still useable. Is there a better quality mat, I can check into. I do soak it over night, also. Take a scratch(wirey) pad after soaking. To try and get some of the cutting mark's out of the pad. Thank's for any help, everyone. Don-isewman

nativetexan 11-11-2013 10:09 AM

Olfa mats should last years and years. I can't think why you are having trouble. are you sure you have only one blade and that's it's in good condition? I don't know what to tell you.

ManiacQuilter2 11-11-2013 10:59 AM

I bought a new Olfa mat at JAF and it too is showing wear quickly. I would have bought a Omnigrid but they didn't have any during that nice Thanksgiving day sale last year. I don't drive so it is difficult for me to get to the sale when they have a great coupon burning a hole in my pocket. 60% off coupon from JAF does get me excited !!

Jingle 11-11-2013 12:20 PM

I have a Fiskars rotary cutter and large mat. Not reversible and in good shape. I left my hot iron sitting on it and got a warped spot. I cut that out and now have two smaller mats. I bought another like it with green/1/s and yellow/o/s.

nativetexan 11-11-2013 01:06 PM

well I've had mine for years. I have two large ones actually. both still great. I've never soaked mine but did once wipe it with a wet cloth. Perhaps they aren't made as good these days..... not sure. Complain to the company!!

Lori S 11-11-2013 01:14 PM

I have had Olfa mats over the years... and I am with you on thinking they just don't last as long as they used to. I change my blade frequently .. and keep it clean.... I guess my expectations have been reduced. ( yes I tried soaking them..not much improvement).
I still can find one that last like my early Olfa mat. .. and the new ones will smell if you don't give them time to air out.

grannie cheechee 11-11-2013 01:47 PM

I've had my Olfa mat for yrs., and I finally turned it over. LOL My Olfa turntable mat which I don't use as often is dried out. I'm going to try soaking it. If you have the 60% coupon from Joann's it would be a bargain. By the way your Joann's in Muscatine is sure laid out great. The one here you have to look in many spots before you find out where things are located.

BellaBoo 11-11-2013 02:16 PM

Some self healing mats are stored in a warehouse for a long time and they are dried out by the time you buy them. Soak the mat in room temp water over night and wipe dry. That may help but not much if it is really dry. If you get a new one be sure and soak it at least once a year.

maminstl 11-11-2013 02:39 PM

I have an Alvin mat - have had it less than a year, but so far so good. And, they are not expensive - 24x36 about $25 on Amazon.

Jackie Spencer 11-11-2013 03:20 PM

Are you cutting over and over in the same place on your mat? I try not to do that. I have an Olfa also, before I bought a new one I noticed that cutting lines were showing on my old one, where I tended to cut all the time. I try not to do that on this one and so far so good. I have had this one over 2 years, and I am in my sewing room everyday.