Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting plexiglass for templates. who does this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-plexiglass-templates-who-does-t263080.html)

Joset 03-25-2015 04:17 AM

my local hardware store also does it.

ManiacQuilter2 03-25-2015 05:07 AM

Make sure they do it accurately !!

LindaR 03-25-2015 05:38 AM

my local hardware did it for me, they have glass service so have the machine...did 32 of them one time for a class I taught $1/piece which I thought was nice of them LOL

Geri B 03-25-2015 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by cakebaker (Post 7139616)
We live by a small town and the owner of our local hardware store has made templates for me.

Had my small town glass co do ONE for me......way more expensive that I have purchased...AND, unfortunately not done accurately! Lost a guild of potential customers here.....so just be aware!!!!!!

Onebyone 03-25-2015 06:31 AM

Be sure they are laser cut. That won't be a problem as all glass shops have laser cutting now. If not find another one. Laser cutting is much cheaper but still costly as some shops will charge the same labor costs per hour. I would buy the templates if available in the size you want. The quality will be better.
Lowe's here sells pexiglass but will not cut it. The manager said there was no one trained to do it and none of the employees wanted to learn how to do it. ?

AliKat 03-25-2015 07:45 AM

I go to a local plastics company where they fabricate items for businesses and such. They cut very accurately and the edges are smooth. What they don't do is put any writing/lines on the acrylic. They do have different thicknesses too. I believer they will work even with a phone or mail order, though I haven't tried this as they are so near where I live.

sophia 03-25-2015 10:50 AM

OK ladies yea I called around and also called binswanger I told them I had my own plexiglass and they wanted to know how many cuts in one template i said 3 as it is the wedge. quoted me the price of 10.00 so I guess I will just purchase one on line I was just trying to save a few bucks but I guess you learn as you go ant nothing cheap about our hobby and our quilting LOL us quilters just have to have what we want to complete our task. haha thats what I tell my hubby and he believes me so ALL IS GOOD PLUS LIFE IS GOOD thank you all I really appreciate all of you and know you all will come to the rescue of a quilter in need

ssuzz 03-25-2015 12:15 PM

my son cuts mine ..just cut with scroll saw and sand down the edges a bit.

quilt1950 03-25-2015 12:23 PM

DH cut mine on the table saw. He says anything that will cut wood will cut plexiglass. Leave the protective film on the plexiglass until you are finished. Don't go so fast that it chips, and don't go so slow that the plexiglass melts. He sanded the edges a bit when he was finished. What he has made is very accurate.

tessagin 03-25-2015 12:41 PM

I just buy them. By the time I can get anyone around to cut them, I can order and have them delivered or just pick them up and back home in 30 minutes. Dh hates working with anything but wood.