Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting on point (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-point-t199154.html)

Elaray 08-31-2012 05:54 AM

Cutting on point

I just bought "501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks" by Judy Hopkins. The instructions for many of the blocks call for making a template and having squares or rectangles cut on point resulting in shapes cut on the bias. Is there any reason I couldn't cut these on the straight grain? Sub-cutting a long strip seems much easier than cutting squares or rectangles from a template. Does the bias cut square make the block more stable?

bearisgray 08-31-2012 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I prefer to cut strips

kristakz 08-31-2012 09:51 AM

I think the block is more stable if all your grain lines go the same way. So a square might be cut on bias, and then set into a square-in-a-square setting - with the resulting outer edges on straight grain and the straight grain of the block you cut on bias then running straight across the square. Does that make any sense? It is the only reason I can come up with for cutting something on bias - to end up with the block on-grain.

Elaray 08-31-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5481400)
I think the block is more stable if all your grain lines go the same way. So a square might be cut on bias, and then set into a square-in-a-square setting - with the resulting outer edges on straight grain and the straight grain of the block you cut on bias then running straight across the square. Does that make any sense? It is the only reason I can come up with for cutting something on bias - to end up with the block on-grain.

After reading your response, I studied the diagrams in the book and it makes perfect sense! Cutting the squares and rectangles on point makes all of the grainlines in the block run in the same direction.

GrannieAnnie 08-31-2012 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Elaray (Post 5480904)
I just bought "501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks" by Judy Hopkins. The instructions for many of the blocks call for making a template and having squares or rectangles cut on point resulting in shapes cut on the bias. Is there any reason I couldn't cut these on the straight grain? Sub-cutting a long strip seems much easier than cutting squares or rectangles from a template. Does the bias cut square make the block more stable?

Do the instructions tell you to cut on the bias or are you just assuming the pieces are bias since they are set on point? Anything I've ever done SET on point, has been cut square.

QuiltnLady1 08-31-2012 06:42 PM

I agree with GrannieAnnie -- most of the patterns I have seen have the squares cut on the straight of grain and just set on point.

Elaray 09-01-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5481797)
Do the instructions tell you to cut on the bias or are you just assuming the pieces are bias since they are set on point? Anything I've ever done SET on point, has been cut square.

The instructions actually say cut on the bias. The templates have a grain line that definitely indicates a bias cut square or rectangle.

GrannieAnnie 09-02-2012 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Elaray (Post 5483974)
The instructions actually say cut on the bias. The templates have a grain line that definitely indicates a bias cut square or rectangle.

I've had pieces that were cut on the diagonal and I've placed blue painter's tape close to the stitching line to keep the bias from stretching. OUtside of that, I avoid bias cuts like the plague.

RedGarnet222 09-02-2012 11:24 AM

If you are going to use the bias, do yourself a big favor and starch the dickins out of the fabric to stablize it or you could have a nightmare on your hands.

cwessel47 09-02-2012 11:59 AM

Just to chime in - if you want the straight grain on the edges............... Add 1 1/4" to the long side of the triangle. Cut a square that size and cut on both diagonals. Four triangles result. Ta da!!!!