Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Scrap Stash With Accuquilt Go Cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-scrap-stash-accuquilt-go-cutter-t258803.html)

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-27-2014 12:02 PM

Cutting Scrap Stash With Accuquilt Go Cutter

Does anyone do this? Any suggestions/recommendations/photos to share? I always really liked how Bonnie Hunter stores her scrap stash in usable shapes so she can just pull them out and sew. I just received an Accuquilt Go cutter along with a 2.5" strip cutting die and mats for Christmas and I was thinking this might be a great opportunity to cut up some of my several large overflowing bins of scraps into shapes so that I might actually use them!

phranny 12-27-2014 01:07 PM

I'm interested to hear what others do as well. I have the small 3 inch tumbler die, and have been collecting the scraps for a while, sorting them into dark and lights. I am in the process of making a queen size quilt out of those, and in my opinion, it looks really nice. It's a nice way to use up scraps.
I also have the 2 1/2 inch strip die, and have made numerous strips of those, but have not yet found the perfect pattern for them. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Annaquilts 12-27-2014 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 7023244)
Does anyone do this? Any suggestions/recommendations/photos to share? I always really liked how Bonnie Hunter stores her scrap stash in usable shapes so she can just pull them out and sew. I just received an Accuquilt Go cutter along with a 2.5" strip cutting die and mats for Christmas and I was thinking this might be a great opportunity to cut up some of my several large overflowing bins of scraps into shapes so that I might actually use them!

I think it is a great idea! I don't have a machine but would love one to cute up fabric for donation quilts, NICU baby, military and hospice. A board member send me donation fabric for NICU baby quilts and they were all 6 in. squares. It was so easy to put together as the squares were perfect.

I think 2 1/2 in. strips and 6 or 6 1/2 in. squares would be wonderful to have on hand.

quilterjody 12-27-2014 07:29 PM

I cut nearly everything into 2 1/2" strips. Just because there are tons of jelly roll patterns out there. I have done 4 1/2" and 2 1/2" squares. That was when i had only the basic die and strip cutter. Now i do mostly strips.

PaperPrincess 12-27-2014 07:45 PM

Yes, I use it for cutting scraps. I cut a bit more than Bonnie Hunter: 6.5, 5, 4.5, 3.5, 2.5, 2 and 1.5.
I have strip cutters for the 2.5, 2 and 1.5 inch strips. So I grab a stack of scraps work thru the sizes, starting with the largest. If I can get at least a 6.5" square, I'll cut a 6.5" strip. I go thru the whole stack of scraps to see if I can get a 6.5 and cut those. Then I go to the 5" size & again go thru the whole stack, cutting 5" strips, then 4.5's I use a ruler to cut these 3 largest sizes, then use the die cutters for the rest, again, cutting the widest strip possible from the scrap. If the strip will only yield one square, then I cut the square and see if I can recut the remaining scrap. If the strip will yield at least 2 squares, I leave it whatever length it is, so I wind up with squares and strips in the sizes above.

cjtinkle 12-28-2014 03:28 AM

Yes, I do. I cut almost everything into 2.5 inch squares, matching 1/2 square triangles, and 3.5 inch squares and matching 1/2 square triangles. That covers 90% of any scrap quilt I might wish to make.

Geri B 12-28-2014 05:01 AM

...what is your definition of scraps? Less than fat quarters? I do cut some scraps into 2 1/2" squares for L&Es but only do massive cutting of any size,shape of any other fab when I have decided to do a project. Cuttings I keep in a bin for crumb squares or strips on adding machine tape (5 rolls 3" from GW) larger scraps are in another bin ----now using those for hexie project. GFG/EPP, small trimmings are put in "pillowcase" type bags..made from whatever fabric...those go to animal shelter thru guild....

Did cut a boatload of odd fabrics into large apple core die shape....got tired of doing that...a new UFO created!

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-28-2014 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7023909)
...what is your definition of scraps? Less than fat quarters?

Did cut a boatload of odd fabrics into large apple core die shape....got tired of doing that...a new UFO created!

Haha I'm afraid to cut them into anything too specific for this reason!

Yes my definition of scraps is anything from 2" odd shaped hunks to around a fat quarter or maybe leftover strips from cutting a border or working on another quilt. Anything that won't fold up neatly and be put on a shelf. I have three GIANT tubs full of them from about 11 years of avid quilting. LOL I never in the past wanted to cut them up "just in case" but I'm at the point where I think if I don't make them something quick and easy to use they will just sit in those bins forever!

bjchad 12-28-2014 05:46 AM

I cut into strips, squares, half square triangles, 60 degree triangles, even narrow strips. I like scrappy quilts and buy a lot a remnants.

emmy 12-29-2014 04:12 AM

The Gourmet Quilter recommends cutting scraps into strips only and store by width, especially when you don't have a chosen pattern. Then you can cut into rectangles, etc.