Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting scraps?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-scraps-t199307.html)

susie-susie-susie 09-02-2012 06:56 AM

I am sure that the minute I cut my scraps that I will need something 1/4' bigger. That is Murphy's Law of quilting. I would never cut until I know what I will be making. I recently made a very nice log cabin quilt for a class using left over fabric from other projects--that translates into FREE. Can't beat that.
Sue

Happy Tails 09-03-2012 02:49 AM

I hate that Murphy, don't you? I'm like that too, I don't cut scraps unless I have a reason to

MaryAnnMc 09-03-2012 03:26 AM

I am working on my first *real* quilt, and decided to start out right by cutting all my scraps Bonnie Hunter-style as I cut my quilt pieces. Big mistake!! Of course I had miscut several pieces. Then many pieces shrank when I starched the pieced blocks for squaring up. Since my scraps were all ready cut into smaller pieces, I had to order more fabric, and beg for i spy squares. Next time, no cutting scraps until the quilt top is DONE!!!!!!!!! But I like having the scraps ready to go.

ArtsyOne 09-03-2012 03:34 AM

Put me on the list of those quilters who now save scraps as is without cutting. Many years ago I would cut all of my scraps into strips thinking I would make string quilts with them, but as I used those strips last year to make a braided rug I looked at some of them and wished I had the larger piece to use in a quilt. As for the size that should be saved, take a look at "crumb" quilts. Those use scraps less than an inch!

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 09-03-2012 03:59 AM

I was cutting my scraps into all different sizes and decided not to do that anymore. Maybe I need a 3 inch square and the color I want has previously been cut into a 2 inch square so I can't use it. I'm going to cut all my scraps into 3 inch strips. That way i can cut off what I need as I use it. I can always trim it smaller but I can't put it back on,

sewnbug 09-03-2012 04:30 AM

I put them all in as baskest till I get a lot of them, then I spend a day cutting them using Bonnnie hunters system. Then when I want a day of mindless sewing, I pull them out and make 4 or 9 patches to use in scrap quilts.

Bren 09-03-2012 05:01 AM

I keep scraps/trimmings from each project in a small plastic zip bag so they are already color coordinated. Strips go into a storage bin for future LC's. Tiny scraps get used for leaders and enders because my Bernina is picky and tends to snarl thread on the first few stitches. There is quite a bit of information on this Board regarding leaders and enders for you new quilters. It took me awhile to find out about them, but once I did it sure saved me a lot of grief!

hcarpanini 09-03-2012 05:03 AM

I have mine in large plastic bins. I definitely would go to Bonnie Hunters site. She is amazing. I met her in person this spring at a show. What a lot of energy she has!!

maviskw 09-03-2012 05:18 AM

I am one who saves everything. If it's 1/2 inch wide, I make 1/8 inch seams. Of course, it depends on the color and the type of fabric. I have made several confetti quilts. If the piece is missing a little bit on one corner, add a little piece there. You would be surprised at how much it takes to put on a little corner. Those seams eat up a lot.
I have made several freedom quilts. Start with a small piece of a very bright color, any shape and start sewing another small piece to it. Just be sure your seam is a straight line. Trim with ruler and cutter, not "by eye". Add pieces log cabin style, on each side as you go around and around and around. They can be any width that is 2 12 inches or less. I get 4 or more blocks going at once so I can chain stitch. When the square gets near your target size (8 or 9 or 12 inches etc.) add what will make it come out near that measurement. Around the outside I sometimes add a strip made up of lots of small pieces. Then square to the size you want. When you have all your squares made, put it together with sashing: white or black work wonderfully, or use your favorite color. Just keep this sashing as plain as possible; if it is big print or too busy, it will make the whole quilt look way too busy. Corner stones would be very nice. On the last one I made, the cornerstones were 2 1/2 inches square, and one of them had eleven pieces in it. I always tried to make them at least 4 or 5 pieces, so you can see I use really small pieces. Another thing: the smaller my pieces, the smaller I make my seam allowance. Those small squares all have 1/8 in. seam allowances.
Anything left from this goes in an old pillow case to give to the animal shelter or sprinkled outside for the birds. LOL

DixieLee 09-03-2012 05:31 AM

I don't cut mine. I put them in a big trunk along with any left over completed blocks from projects and then when a pattern says cut something from a variety of pinks or browns or whatever, I go through and pull out what I got and use them up that way. I hope one day to figure out what to do with the completed orphan blocks but at least they are all in one place.