Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting scraps?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-scraps-t199307.html)

Silver Needle 09-01-2012 05:04 PM

Cutting scraps??

Do you cut your scraps or just put them into storage as is? If you cut them up what size do you cut them into. I want to do something with mine before there get to be so many I just give up and pitch them all.

barri1 09-01-2012 05:17 PM

DON'T pitch them. There are so many things you can do. I'm in the middle of making scrap quilts, and having tons of fun. There is a thread that is on the board with wonderful pictures of some of the quilts from scraps. They go together very fast. If you want to not use them, there are plenty of quilters that would be happy to tak them off your hands.

cmrenno 09-01-2012 05:22 PM

Go to Bonnie Hunter's site www.quiltville.com There are lots of ideas for how to cut your scraps, how to organize your scraps and lots of quilts to make with you scraps!!
I also recomend the Scrap Therapy book by Joan Ford.
I have used both methods and I have made several quilts from my scraps.
Have fun!
Colleen

quilter1943 09-01-2012 05:31 PM

I put scraps from quilts in a tote under my sewing table. When it starts hollering at me, I go through and cut out 6" square (or sometimes 4" squares) from the larger pieces and use them for Linus quilts. The rest I save and use for strip quilts or scrappy log cabins. I throw away any piece that can't be a 2 1/2 x 4" rectangle. Some of the reds I might save if they're 1 1/2" wide for bright strips in a strip quilt. Don't throw your scraps away. If you don't want them for quilting, make a pillow and take it to your Humane Society. They love them for the animals.

paulswalia 09-01-2012 06:00 PM

In this order:
1. Fat quarter if I can get it.
2. If there's width of fabric, first cut 5 inch x WOF(these can later be 2.5 x WOF,or charms or 2.5 squares)
3. Then go to 2.5 x WOF
4. Then 1.5 x WOF (I'm planning to use these in a log cabin quilt)
5. If I can't get WOF then I cut squares, 2.5 then 3.0, then 3.5 4.0

AnnieF 09-01-2012 06:21 PM

Absolutely don't pitch them. Remember you've already paid for the fabric so anything you make out of them will be free! I love scrap quilts so 6" and 5" squares are my go to size..but I did the scrap therapy so have other sizes as well.

Xtgirl 09-01-2012 06:26 PM

What size is too small to keep and be useful? I've been struggling with the whole not wanting to throw any piece of fabric away and I might be getting too carried away.....

GrannieAnnie 09-01-2012 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5484279)
Do you cut your scraps or just put them into storage as is? If you cut them up what size do you cut them into. I want to do something with mine before there get to be so many I just give up and pitch them all.

Why would you want to cut scraps at all if you don't have an immediate use for them? Short of cutting a long string off a side or so.

Lori S 09-01-2012 07:01 PM

I just sort by color, as I have no idea what pattern they will eventually turn into. Don't toss them , so many beautiful quilts have come from scraps... and the more scraps the better is my philosophy.

Gigi07 09-01-2012 07:11 PM

I don't cut my scraps as I never know what I will need for paper piecing... I toss in a tote, then find a pp project to do.. lots of fun!