Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Damaged Cutting Mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/damaged-cutting-mat-t1607.html)

marmar 07-30-2007 08:01 AM

My cutting mat was damaged by someone who didn't know better pressing down extremely hard while cutting outing. Can this be restored?There are from 2-3 lines of fuzz and deep cuts down one side. It's a Fiskar and like new otherwise. Thanks for any help! :(

sewmuch 07-30-2007 08:35 AM

I thought they were self healing. I press hard on mine and it doesn't do that. Maybe you should return it.

marmar 07-30-2007 09:27 AM

I've had this mat several years and I never leave any indication of cutting too deep altho I think I press pretty hard somtimes. This lady must have put all she had behind her strokes. I can't even imagine pressing that hard. I'll try the net solution and see what results I have . Thanks ladies! :)

june6995 07-30-2007 09:31 AM

Don't forget...send an e-mail to the manufacturer of the cutting mat. They have web sites and all sorts of suggestions on how to care for them. They may even offer to replace it. One think I learned, was to flip it over and use the other side as the material is the same all the way through.

June in Cincinnati

kathy 07-30-2007 10:40 AM

if you didn't see her using it maybe she used something other than a rotary cutter, I too press pretty hard sometimes and I don't have any scars.

Yvonne 07-30-2007 10:54 AM

I think I read somewhere that if you're using a dull rotary cutter that they will scar the cutting board. I can tell, when I see tuffs of batting or fabric stuck on the cutting board, it's time to change blades. I usually just clean the cutting board up with some netting and all is well again. I've never known a board to be 'hurt' so bad that it doesn't repair itself. I'd certainly write the manufacturer and ask for their help!

live2teach 07-30-2007 11:00 AM

I have had fuzz lines in my cutting mat before. After cutting batting, there was quite a bit of fuzz there. I took netting and it came right off and repaired itself. Let us know if the netting helps. If not, definitely call or write the manufacturer.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 07-30-2007 11:44 AM

What kind of netting are you all using to rub these mats down with? :oops:

ShellyQ 07-30-2007 01:06 PM

I hate to have to admit this :oops: but you can actually do this to a cutting mat. When I first started quilting I am mostly self taught so was all "learn by trial and error" mostly error :lol:

Anyway I had my blade done up too tight so had to use too much force to get it to move, chopped up my mat pretty good, once I realised what I was doing just turned it over and used the other side. Am starting to see daylight in places now so is getting time to get a new one, can't complain though, it has done me 12 years since I loosened my blade :lol:

Carla P 07-30-2007 01:13 PM

A razor knife will do permanent damage... uh, so I saw once :roll: