Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   De-stashing/charity quilting groups (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/de-stashing-charity-quilting-groups-t294949.html)

bkay 02-20-2018 07:20 AM

De-stashing/charity quilting groups

My cousin was forced to almost vacate her house for some repair and renovation (she filled 2 "pods".) She has tons of quality quilting fabric (fabric for 79 planned quilts + fat quarters and other impulse buys) and has decided not bring it all back into the house. Not very much of it is "kiddie" prints (she's fond of civil war prints, navy and cheddar, etc.), so may not be suitable for Project Linus. I thought to email or call some of the area quilting guilds, but there are no phone numbers or email links on their websites. I know there have to be a large number of charity quilters who would love to have her fabric, but how do you find them? I know Salvation Army and Goodwill are alternatives, but I never see any quilting fabric at their stores. So, I assume they must just bale it and sell it in bulk with other unsalable fabrics/clothes.

Any suggestions that don't involve shipping?

bkay

anne2016 02-20-2018 07:33 AM

I have found the same situation at Goodwill and S. Army. I have donated fabric to them but didn't see it displayed. Of course it may have gotten sold before I returned there ( was a week or more before going back) or perhaps it wasn't displayed or was passed to other organizations. I have never seen fabric there. Sometimes I wonder about those places, especially when it comes to 'good' donations.

thimblebug6000 02-20-2018 07:52 AM

Maybe if you posted the general area she is located in, members here could give you more specific information?

cashs_mom 02-20-2018 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 8007575)
Maybe if you posted the general area she is located in, members here could give you more specific information?

I was thinking the same. We have so many quilters from so many areas, someone might know of a guild or group that could use the fabrics.

bearisgray 02-20-2018 07:58 AM

Fabric is heavy, so mailing/shipping it to people is expensive.

soccertxi 02-20-2018 08:07 AM

Quilts of Valor takes fabric. Click on the donate button. There is a fabric donation button . They ask for info and in that is 'will ship/local pickup'. Hopefully you will get other options from other quilters.

Kitsie 02-20-2018 08:07 AM

.. and yet a friend brought me 6 bags of fabrics she found at Goodwill! It may have been at a different one than I go to.

cjsews 02-20-2018 08:25 AM

Try senior citizens centers. Or check with a local quilt store. The will have some info on local guilds

Wanabee Quiltin 02-20-2018 08:52 AM

Call the various thrift stores and ask to speak to the manager about fabric. Only a few in our area will sell fabric and I think it’s the managers decision.

bkay 02-20-2018 09:22 AM

We're in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

bkay