Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: De-stashing/charity quilting groups

De-stashing/charity quilting groups

My cousin was forced to almost vacate her house for some repair and renovation (she filled 2 "pods".) She has tons of quality quilting fabric (fabric for 79 planned quilts + fat quarters and other impulse buys) and has decided not bring it all back into the house. Not very much of it is "kiddie" prints (she's fond of civil war prints, navy and cheddar, etc.), so may not be suitable for Project Linus. I thought to email or call some of the area quilting guilds, but there are no phone numbers or email links on their websites. I know there have to be a large number of charity quilters who would love to have her fabric, but how do you find them? I know Salvation Army and Goodwill are alternatives, but I never see any quilting fabric at their stores. So, I assume they must just bale it and sell it in bulk with other unsalable fabrics/clothes.

Any suggestions that don't involve shipping?

bkay

I have found the same situation at Goodwill and S. Army. I have donated fabric to them but didn't see it displayed. Of course it may have gotten sold before I returned there ( was a week or more before going back) or perhaps it wasn't displayed or was passed to other organizations. I have never seen fabric there. Sometimes I wonder about those places, especially when it comes to 'good' donations.
    Always be kind.

Maybe if you posted the general area she is located in, members here could give you more specific information?

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Maybe if you posted the general area she is located in, members here could give you more specific information?
    I was thinking the same. We have so many quilters from so many areas, someone might know of a guild or group that could use the fabrics.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Power Poster
    Fabric is heavy, so mailing/shipping it to people is expensive.

Quilts of Valor takes fabric. Click on the donate button. There is a fabric donation button . They ask for info and in that is 'will ship/local pickup'. Hopefully you will get other options from other quilters.

Blog Entries
    .. and yet a friend brought me 6 bags of fabrics she found at Goodwill! It may have been at a different one than I go to.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Try senior citizens centers. Or check with a local quilt store. The will have some info on local guilds

Call the various thrift stores and ask to speak to the manager about fabric. Only a few in our area will sell fabric and I think it’s the managers decision.

We're in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

bkay

Blog Entries
    I would call churches in your area. They often have quilt groups or may have contacts to some
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by bkay View Post
    We're in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

bkay
    I just googled quilt guilds in your area and had no issues getting email addresses.

At this guild, click the persons name and an email window pops up
    http://www.fwqg.org/about-us/2014-officers-chairs/

AT this guild I simply clicked the contact link and got this page with emails
    http://www.tvqg.org/contact-us.html

Yet another with a contact us page
    http://www.quiltersguildofdallas.org/contact_us

And many of these guilds have facebook pages you can PM them on if you use FB. But I think if you spent a little time clicking around on their websites you will find email contacts so you can email them if they want your fabric donation.

Thanks, feline fanatic. I only tried a couple of guilds, so I'll try again.

bkay

Power Poster
    sometimes churches/organizations do not have space to store donations

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    .. and yet a friend brought me 6 bags of fabrics she found at Goodwill! It may have been at a different one than I go to.
    I think I have bad thrift stores lol, the goodwills near me anything that's remotely good gets put in the case and auctioned online and the salvation army near me wants $200 or more for old sewing machines, the furniture is really high priced too. never seen fabric at either one.

Check with hospitals, especially cancer treatment clinics. We have 2 huge hospitals here & I know one of them has a sewing room and they make lap size quilts for cancer patients. The room is used 5 days a week and I hear it’s busy. There was also a newspaper story about a group affiliated with a hospital that makes “dignity gowns” for patients. I saved the article, hope to help someday.

Blog Entries
    Some senior centers have sewing rooms for their members. They often take fabric/trim/yarn donations.

May I suggest you contact Quilts of Valor co-ordinater in your state? Civil war fabrics would make wonderful quilts of valor for our valiant service members. Here's the link: https://www.qovf.org/

I never donate to Goodwill because of how little they pay their help, and how much the upper management of Good will pay themselves. It is for profit corporation. The GW near me used to sell donated fabric, but has changed management. The new management doesn't seem interested in fabric or bedding at all.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    If you were in my town, you'd have the best luck contacting the local churches, quilt shops, and the pastoral programs at the local hospitals.

There is a charity quilt group at my church, and they do have room for donations. They make and donate quilts to various organizations in our community.

I have a friend who quilts about 30 quilts a month for the pastoral program at one of our local hospitals. Each terminally ill patient is given a quilt. After they pass, the quilt is given to the family. If you could read the thank-you notes, you'd understand what a huge impact the quilts have. Contact your pastoral program at your hospital to see if they have a group of quilters who do this.

I too was going to sugguest local quilt guilds.

Consider nursing homes, foster care support organizations, adoption agencies, groups that work with resettlement of immigrants or refugees and so on in your community. My university as a support for foster children who have "aged out of the system" but registered students given a quilt for their dorm room made by a local guild. These students have very little of their own because they were in the care of a foster family not their own family.

Can any of the quilts be made as Quilts of Valor and given locally? Those civil war prints could be beautiful. Remember QOV does not need to be red, white and blue.

Just some ideas. I would love to buy fabric, bring it all home, and make just donation quilts but I am trying to bring my own stash down this year.

I would not donate a beautiful stash to Goodwill or Salvation Army. I would first do an "open house fabric sale" and invite the members of local quilt guilds. Then if anything is left donate.

In the end.....these ideas are only my opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    May I suggest you contact Quilts of Valor co-ordinater in your state? Civil war fabrics would make wonderful quilts of valor for our valiant service members. Here's the link: https://www.qovf.org/

I never donate to Goodwill because of how little they pay their help, and how much the upper management of Good will pay themselves. It is for profit corporation. The GW near me used to sell donated fabric, but has changed management. The new management doesn't seem interested in fabric or bedding at all.
    I feel the same way about Goodwill. I was appalled at how much upper management was paid. I'm all for the idea of providing jobs and training but I think they take advantage.

Call the area churches. Most of them have a quilting group. We make Quilts for World Relief and many charity Quilts. We're always happy to get fabric donations. We would love t have some, but we are In Monana.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    Try senior citizens centers. Or check with a local quilt store. The will have some info on local guilds

Also check with Independent Senior Living facilities. I drop my donations off to them. Mine has a wonderful dedicated sewing studio (locked...room) dedicated for sewing charity quilts! They immediately cut up fabric into 8”squares and file them into the appropriate area on their color wall.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    I feel the same way about Goodwill. I was appalled at how much upper management was paid. I'm all for the idea of providing jobs and training but I think they take advantage.
    I disagree....Goodwill provides an entry level job for gaining experience etc. I always compliment the associates on how well the store is organized etc. Borrowing the Habitat for Humanity phrase....this is a hand-UP...not a hand-OUT.

re-think how you categorized Goodwill. It is an entry level retail job. And training. For me..better than working in fast food...we all started at the “bottom” ...And I love to poke around them.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast