Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   DEAL STEAL! I've GOT to tell you about this... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/deal-steal-ive-got-tell-you-about-t17045.html)

sandpat 02-28-2009 04:54 PM

Thats really cool MJ...you know that the Jackson store just had a class on the fun n done thing. I didn't go, but I'm sure they sold lots of those tools..I watched the video of the technique...looked like fun...so what cha' workin' on???? Not Mama's quilt??? :lol:

purplemem 02-28-2009 04:59 PM

Yep, I'm doing this on Mama's quilt! I WISH I could get my camera battery, I have OODLES of quilts/blocks to show but nothing to take pictures with! And I Finally got the fabric for the Holiday RR in today, been working on those blocks too. And I got next month's IRR, and next month's RR, Arrrgh!

Sew many projects, sew little time :P

BlueChicken 02-28-2009 05:01 PM

Well done!

I think plexiglass (the stuff rulers are made out of) is our Perspex. My partner is in the glass trade, so he gets it cheap (it's VERY expensive to buy) and he cuts it himself on a saw bench.

A light sand on the ends to take off the sharp edge, and voila!

I use a permanent marker to write on them what size they are, and a couple have other lines as well. They can also be scratched with a sharp pointy something (compass works well, scalpel, etc).

MollieSue 02-28-2009 05:57 PM

Great hint Purplemem - thank you! I would never have known they'd cut plexiglass for you, for templates! :D :thumbup:

Betty Ruth 02-28-2009 07:48 PM

Rulers are expensive when bought at a quilting store, but I found one at an office supply store. It is 1 12 inches wide and 18 inches long. It was just what I needed for the project I was working on at the time, and I've used it frequently. It even already had a hole in one end to hang it up. I believe that the last one I bought was $1.29, plus tax, but NO shipping.

littlehud 02-28-2009 07:51 PM

What a great idea. Never would have thought of that.

Rox17 03-01-2009 04:00 AM

Went to Lowes and got a sheet of the plexiglass. I had a kid helping me and he didn't seem thrilled with the idea of cutting a bunch of small pieces. So, I bought the cutting tool and tried it myself. My advice would be to have someone at Lowes cut it. My boyfriend even tried and he had trouble cutting it. We finally got a piece cut but it wasn't easy. If anyone has any tips on cutting it, let me know. I would still like to cut some different sized squares out of it. It is definitely the cheaper route to go.

purplemem 03-01-2009 06:14 AM

I suggest you go back to Lowe's and ask for a department manager. They pride themselves on good service, describe your previous experience and ask for a replacement and the job done right. They will make it good.

Return the cutting blade, too.

Rox17 03-01-2009 11:56 AM

You are right. We did manage to get a 6 1/2, 8 1/2 and 10 1/2 square cut but it took all morning. We ruined part of the sheet of plexiglass because it broke where it wasn't supposed to.

Izy 03-01-2009 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rox17
Went to Lowes and got a sheet of the plexiglass. I had a kid helping me and he didn't seem thrilled with the idea of cutting a bunch of small pieces. So, I bought the cutting tool and tried it myself. My advice would be to have someone at Lowes cut it. My boyfriend even tried and he had trouble cutting it. We finally got a piece cut but it wasn't easy. If anyone has any tips on cutting it, let me know. I would still like to cut some different sized squares out of it. It is definitely the cheaper route to go.

Roxy, when we made mine last year, we used a workbench and clamped the plexiglass with the piece to be cut hanging over in perfect line with the edge of the workbench, then scored it several times using a metal rule and craft knife, then you have to be brave...and just snap in downwards, it makes a loud crack but if you score it about half way thru, it will break cleanly, just a light sanding off was all that was needed. We did right down to 2.5" square this way, hope this helps :D