Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: DEAL STEAL! I've GOT to tell you about this...

Blog Entries
    This morning I went to Lowe's (a big box hardware store) and bought 1 piece of plexiglass (30 x 36 inches) for $14.47. Then I had them cut me 3 templates, 18 1/2 " square, 10 1/2" square and 8 1/2" square. Now I have my Fun and Done templates for 8 inch blocks, 10 inch blocks and 16 inch blocks. I already had a 12 1/2" square template that I paid $20 for alone!

This still gave me big leftovers, they said I could bring it back and they would cut again for free (with receipt). What a great deal!
    :mrgreen:

I was trying to figure out where I could get heavy plastic to make templates. Never even thought of Lowes and better yet didn't know they would cut it for you. Thanks for the tip. I'm going this afternoon.

WOW!!! That is a deal!

Good for you! Anxious to see what your fun and done will look like. Happy cutting out day to you!

Banned
    what a deal.... :D

Blog Entries
    I loved it so much I went back and had a 16 1/2" template cut and a 2 1/2" ruler OUT OF THE SAME PIECE OF PLEXIGLASS. This is such a deal. Still FREE [see me doing the happy dance????]

scurries off to play in the sewing room.... :D

I went to a store that is a paint and glass store. They have a scrap bin of 1/4" acrylic and even thicker. The small pieces are 50cents and the large pieces are $1.00.

My husband told them what he wanted the scrap piece for and they even squared it up for him FREE!

I now have the perfect small ruler for longarm stitching for $1.50! I had ALMOST bought this same size ruler on a website for $16.50 with $4.50 in shipping.

If anyone gets the Keepsake Quilting catalog you will find a wooden mallet for "whacking" down seam allowances. When you have adjoining seams they tend to be thick and if you "whack" them they will flatten out more. WELL, you can pay the price in the catalog for this wonder item OR go to Wal-Mart and head over to the kitchen area and get yourself a MEAT TENDERIZER that has a smooth surface on one side. I got my "Seam Whacker" for $3.50!

It pays to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, so to speak!

AWESOME!! I love when you can get a good deal!! I just called my local hardware store and they want about $11 more for just the sheet of plexiglass.. guess I'll be waiting to go to the bigger store. Thank you for a great idea!! I'm all for saving money.. need it for more fabric ya know :lol:

Blog Entries
    well this tells me the piece of plexiglass
    I bought for window where air conditioner
    never got put is going with me when I move !!!

I would imagine that a CD marker would work Loretta!

Karen xx

You are one smart girl!

Blog Entries
    I used my Brother label maker, but a Sharpie would work just as well. My dh is drilling a hole so I can hang them on my wall. These are working great!

Izy
    We did the same over here in Spain, purely down to unavailability and cost!! DH managed to get all sizes from 15.5" right down to 2.5" square templates out of less than a metre length, The cost was next to nothing in comparrison to the 40 euros that I had to pay for my 24" X 6" ruler :shock: :D I used a CD marker pen Loretta, but it does wear off and you have to redo it as necessary :D

Here's a link to the topic:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/8109.page

Blog Entries
    I have the local glass shop/windshield repair place cut the size rulers I want. They are great for squaring up. I had an 18" square 1/8 thick cut and it cost me about $7 The must have accurate laser measurements added to the quilting rulers are the reason they are so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    This morning I went to Lowe's (a big box hardware store) and bought 1 piece of plexiglass (30 x 36 inches) for $14.47. Then I had them cut me 3 templates, 18 1/2 " square, 10 1/2" square and 8 1/2" square. Now I have my Fun and Done templates for 8 inch blocks, 10 inch blocks and 16 inch blocks. I already had a 12 1/2" square template that I paid $20 for alone!

This still gave me big leftovers, they said I could bring it back and they would cut again for free (with receipt). What a great deal!
    :mrgreen:
    Wow, you did great, I didn't know you could/should ask the store to cut the plexiglass for you. However, purplemem, for the Fun and Done, don't you need a larger template with the centre cut out for the backing. I was thinking of getting plexiglass cut (but by DH), one 6.5" (template for the top and batting) and another piece of plexiglass cut for the backing (a larger size with the middle cut out). I hope I explained this well. I am hoping to "copy" the templates sold in the stores.

Thanks for the information. Edited to add: Sorry purplemem, I've read your reply in the other post. The reason I wanted the larger template middle cut out was to place the backing/top exactly where it should be on the backing to quilt it. I am not too good at "eye-balling it" :)

What a great deal!
    I've done it at Home Depot with wood. They cut it for free since I told them it was for a project for school.

Ohhh way cool beans!!! You're so very clever!

That is a great idea Way too Cool!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Cool idea Purple! Now...in which Lowe's did you find actual "people" to help you??? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll have to head there when I finally head back to town. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Lowe's at Sam Cooper and Perkins! It was early Saturday morning and they were bored...

You don't have to cut the center out, although they probably would, but it would be more difficult for them. They don't cut by laser, but by something like our rotary cutter.

To do the "fun and done" thing, I measured in 1" all the around on the WRONG side of my backing fabric and marked with a pencil. That's where I place the batting and top square. Still works the same :-o

Blog Entries
    Thats really cool MJ...you know that the Jackson store just had a class on the fun n done thing. I didn't go, but I'm sure they sold lots of those tools..I watched the video of the technique...looked like fun...so what cha' workin' on???? Not Mama's quilt??? :lol:

Blog Entries
    Yep, I'm doing this on Mama's quilt! I WISH I could get my camera battery, I have OODLES of quilts/blocks to show but nothing to take pictures with! And I Finally got the fabric for the Holiday RR in today, been working on those blocks too. And I got next month's IRR, and next month's RR, Arrrgh!

Sew many projects, sew little time :P

Well done!

I think plexiglass (the stuff rulers are made out of) is our Perspex. My partner is in the glass trade, so he gets it cheap (it's VERY expensive to buy) and he cuts it himself on a saw bench.

A light sand on the ends to take off the sharp edge, and voila!

I use a permanent marker to write on them what size they are, and a couple have other lines as well. They can also be scratched with a sharp pointy something (compass works well, scalpel, etc).

Blog Entries
    Great hint Purplemem - thank you! I would never have known they'd cut plexiglass for you, for templates! :D :thumbup:

Rulers are expensive when bought at a quilting store, but I found one at an office supply store. It is 1 12 inches wide and 18 inches long. It was just what I needed for the project I was working on at the time, and I've used it frequently. It even already had a hole in one end to hang it up. I believe that the last one I bought was $1.29, plus tax, but NO shipping.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast