Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: DEAL STEAL! I've GOT to tell you about this...

Blog Entries
    Margie,
    No, my templates are just square. I mark the inside (wrong side) of the backing 1 inch on all sides so I know where to place the batting/block.

It is working just fine, I sewed my blocks together today for the first row of Mama's quilt. Does she suggest sewing along the edge like a topstitch, I centered my seam 1/4 inch out and don't like it as well...

I'll try topstitching next time.

I cut the fun and done out of plexiglass. Didn't cut out the center of the largest one. Just drew a line 1 inch in with a sharpie.

AFTER YOU WRITE WHAT IT IS YOU CAN USE CLEAR BOOK COVERING STUFF AN PUT OVER IT AN THEN IT DON'T COME OFF AT ALL :lol: :lol: :lol:

IEVER HAVE THE DALIA PATTERN DONE IN PLEXIE GLASS I CUT OUT WITH A SCROLL SAW I BOUGHT JUST FOR ME TO PLAY WITH

Blog Entries
    If a permanent pen doesn't work, you could use masking tape and write on it.

Okay, I'm easily confused sometimes. There's an inch and a half difference between the top and bottom templates?

Opps. Looks like you had already answered my question.

Hi Everyone!

My mother directed me to this forum (she is a quilter) . . . my husband and I have an industrial laser. We cut plexi, stencil material, etc.. We cut large and small jobs.

Many, many times I cut templates for my mother and her friend. If you are looking for template of a certain size and thickness of material - as well as pattern, we would be happy to talk to you about it. The fee would be reasonable.

Any questions/interest please reply to this message = stating your interest,
    Thank you

Bev
    This sounds fantastic! What a smart kid you are. The only thing I wonder about is, are the square sizes absolutely accurate? I guess they must be or you wouldn't be using them, right? DUH!! :wink:

I have a question about using plexiglass in the bottom of purses and diaper bags. Do you have to be really careful with them so it doesn't break? Do you take them out before you wash the purse or diaper bag?

Angie

I forgot to ask what thickness of plexiglass do you use? I am making a purse right now and I would love to find an economical way to make the bottom sturdy.

Angie

Blog Entries
    I don't know what thickness I use, because my local hardware has only one thickness. It is about the thickness of a regular store bought quilting ruler. I cover it with a fabric sleeve that comes off. When the diaper bag is washed the template comes out. The sleeve can be washed with the purse/diaper bag, and the plexiglass can be washed with any windex type cleaner (or anything else, for that matter). Then the sleeve is put back on and your good to go. I came up with this idea because I always have spills in my purse...

Clear as mud? :roll:

I've used cardboard, covered it in laminate and put at the bottom. Not really as sturdy as the plexiglass, but was cheaper for me. The laminate can be wiped down if anything spilled on it.

Blog Entries
    have a question about using plexiglass in the bottom of purses and diaper bags. Do you have to be really careful with them so it doesn't break?
    No, plexiglass is so sturdy that you can throw it against the wall and it won't break. People with kids use it for windows around here, they can hit it with a baseball and it just bounces off.

:wink:

Thanks for the information. I get so much useful, money-saving ideas from this group. Thank you all for posting. Somethings that are common sense for you are new information for some of us. Thanks again.

Angie

i love the plexie glass thing because youcan even come up with you on patterns that arn't on the market yet to

ieven used a bike tire for a circle for a bean bag so i could get it big enough for it to be sat on at my computer an my back an legs don't hurt near as much i've had a touch of old arther for about 35yrs.it started back when i was a kid so i try an make every thing a little easier on back an knees

Okay, I thought I had it straight but after reading Dotty's post I'm not sure anymore.
    18.5 and 16.5 pieces to make a 16 inch block?
    14.5 and 12.5 pieces to make a 12 inch block?
    12.5 and 10.5 pieces to make a 10 inch block?

Thanks for the hints about using plexi. I have done it before, but had forgotten about it! So many good ideas here! :lol: :lol:

your bigger size goes on buttem an the smaller size goes on top an your batting is the same size as the smaller onethenyou sew your bigger squares to the out side size of the little ones then you fold your extra from back so you can make 1/4 inch frame around the smaller squares.
    did i explain it right ladies :lol: :lol: :roll:

Blog Entries
    You got it...
    Here are some pictures of Mama's quilt...

Here is quilting, now ready to join into a row
    Name:  Attachment-29079.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  15.6 KB

This is block on top of batting, see the backing is still bigger?
    Name:  Attachment-29080.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  24.8 KB

Here is batting on top of backing, see the 1" difference all the way around?
    Name:  Attachment-29081.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  20.2 KB

Blog Entries
    MJ, that looks so good..I hope that label goes with those colors! Now I'm worried :shock:

Blog Entries
    The label is the EXACT color of the green in the quilt. Those pics were from my cell phone so the colors were off. When I get all three rows joined I'll post pictures from my camera in a new thread.

I have 2 blocks left to quilt and now I'm working on the flying geese border. I haven't decided on the final border, but it will be burgundy and the burgundy floral. It probably depends on how much time I have left.

Deadline is March 18 :shock:

Blog Entries
    OK..WHew....I'm glad it is going to work. Can't wait to see this all put together!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3