Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   decisions, decisions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/decisions-decisions-t17366.html)

sewnsewer2 03-08-2009 06:43 PM

Another one I don't like (and I'm probably the only one) is batiks! I just can't stand them in any color!

rismstress 03-08-2009 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Another one I don't like (and I'm probably the only one) is batiks! I just can't stand them in any color!

I don't like batiks either- I'm too traditional. And I thought I was the only one who didn't like them.
Cheryl

Jim's Gem 03-08-2009 06:57 PM

I love greens and purples and blues and pinks. I am not a big fan or orange but have used it quite successfully in small amounts. I am a fan of cool colors. What I don't like a whole lot are the warm red, like brick, don't have a lot of browns, oranges, antique golds, also I do not like using a solid fabric in my quilts. I prefer clear colors as opposed to the washed out, antiqued ones.

I love how we all have different tastes!!! This world would be such a boring place if everyone liked the same things. I love all the variety and have made lots of quilts using my "not so favorite" colors. Sometimes it's amazing how great one of "those" colors will look in a quilt sometimes.

tuesy 03-08-2009 07:30 PM

I don't like browns... doing my Dad's quilt took me forever because I didn't want to look at those colors..

Janstar 03-08-2009 08:28 PM

I love all light pastel colors. MY DH trys to get me to use more vibrant shades. I don't care for purple or orange very much although I'm making a fall mystery quilt. I love that we all have such different taste in colors.

Lady Crafter 03-08-2009 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by crispyquilts
Pink is a horrible color in my book. I struggle with it when I make a quilt for a little girl.

Horrors! Pink is a favorite of mine since I was a kid. I had a pink Princess phone in my pink bedroom with the pink shaggy area rugs and the pink chenille bedspread. :lol:

I didn't do brights. I was all about pastels and flowers until my friend and fellow quilter (who has since retied to AZ) encouraged me to work outside the box. I purposely bought fat quarters of BRIGHTS and used them to make a tote bag. It surprised me how much I liked the outcome, and now I use brights (or at least buy them) a lot.

I haven't gotten that far with browns or oranges. Reminds me of the 60s, which was a great era, but browns and oranges just don't do a thing for me. :(

gcathie 03-08-2009 09:54 PM

don't like orange.....bought some just cause it was a great buy but it stares at me .....as I ponder what to make with it.....just don't care for it....what goes with orange.....????????......:-)

Jim's Gem 03-08-2009 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by gcathie
don't like orange.....bought some just cause it was a great buy but it stares at me .....as I ponder what to make with it.....just don't care for it....what goes with orange.....????????......:-)

I am not an orange fan, but it went perfect in the baby quilt I put together this weekend. I also once made a quilt with greens and orange for one of the college students who hangs at our house and though I had a hard time with the oranges, it turned out really nice and she was absolutely thrilled with the quilt. Green and orange and frogs are her favorite colors and animal and that's what the quilt was.

mpeters1200 03-09-2009 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by rismstress

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2

I don't like batiks either- I'm too traditional. And I thought I was the only one who didn't like them.
Cheryl

Here I thought it was just me! A friend makes a batik block of the month every year. I guess it's okay, but I would trade out all those batiks for some traditional fabric anytime!!

I struggle, because of my eyesight, with things that can read red. Orange and pink are my two biggest problem colors followed by coral, peach...those kind of tones. Just can't tell what color they are.

Someone was talking about that bled out beige color...I don't like that either. I like browns, but I try to stay away from that weird beige.

QuiltinLee 03-09-2009 07:18 AM

I love the color green. My problem is that it seems hard to get a pretty color of green in material. You can either get olive, mint or UGLY patterns of green. In every other color it seems that there are 5 or 6 that I would love if I had a use for that color. When I get to the greens, forget it. Either the shade of green is ugly or the pattern in the green is horrendous!

Manufacturers please take note!! :D :D