Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design help please - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-help-please-t294579.html)

ArtsyOne 02-06-2018 04:04 AM

Design help please -

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to decide what kind of border to add to this baby quilt and am toying with a zig zag of turquoise half-square triangles on a black background. I also have more of the black and white floral that's on my avatar. Or maybe white polka dots on black? I'm stuck. Luckily the baby isn't due for another 6 weeks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588509[/ATTACH]

MarionsQuilts 02-06-2018 04:19 AM

I like it just the way it is. I wouldn't add anything else to it.

It's really pretty! I like it!

QuiltnNan 02-06-2018 04:22 AM

it probably is not large enough as it is. i would go back to the black and white. then the jazzy border would look like a colored figure in a black and white movie. :)

Rhonda K 02-06-2018 04:45 AM

That is a fun quilt and baby will love the contrast in the center blocks. I like what you have done already and would match the blue in the floral border. Use the floral print for binding to add an accent.

JustAbitCrazy 02-06-2018 05:20 AM

I like the idea of using turquoise for the next border, but I think I'd make it a solid or very small print, no piecing. To my eye, there's already enough pattern in the quilt between the pieced center and the very graphic colored border. I think a plain border for the next round would be restful to the eye.

maminstl 02-06-2018 05:22 AM

I like the white dots on black if you need to big it up. I would not add anything that takes my attention away from the fabulous tumbling blocks

cindyb 02-06-2018 05:36 AM

I love how you pulled the busy border pattern over the thin black border in a couple of places - and then into the center. How did you do this?

ArtsyOne 02-06-2018 06:13 AM

Cindy - I cut out the motifs from the small bit of extra fabric I had, sewed them onto used dryer sheets and turned them inside out to create a smooth edge. Then I opened up the stop border seam where I wanted to insert them and tucked them into the seam. I was going to needle-turn applique them, but decided that a black satin stitch would be just as good and be less work.

bigsister63 02-07-2018 08:13 AM

Actually this quilt gives me a headache/overload due to busy center blocks and busy border. I am not seeing this as a baby quilt. I would not use the outer border with this center but would look do a more "baby" looking border. Actually maybe something like animal print. If not I would then use a tan/black small print border and bind in black.

cindyb 02-07-2018 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 7997866)
Cindy - I cut out the motifs from the small bit of extra fabric I had, sewed them onto used dryer sheets and turned them inside out to create a smooth edge. Then I opened up the stop border seam where I wanted to insert them and tucked them into the seam. I was going to needle-turn applique them, but decided that a black satin stitch would be just as good and be less work.

Thank you so much. I plan to use this tip as it really sets off this quilt.