Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design help please - >

Design help please -

Design help please -

Old 02-06-2018, 04:04 AM

Default Design help please -

I'm trying to decide what kind of border to add to this baby quilt and am toying with a zig zag of turquoise half-square triangles on a black background. I also have more of the black and white floral that's on my avatar. Or maybe white polka dots on black? I'm stuck. Luckily the baby isn't due for another 6 weeks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588509[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails black-blue-progress.jpg  
Old 02-06-2018, 04:19 AM

I like it just the way it is. I wouldn't add anything else to it.

It's really pretty! I like it!
Old 02-06-2018, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

it probably is not large enough as it is. i would go back to the black and white. then the jazzy border would look like a colored figure in a black and white movie.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:45 AM

That is a fun quilt and baby will love the contrast in the center blocks. I like what you have done already and would match the blue in the floral border. Use the floral print for binding to add an accent.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:20 AM

I like the idea of using turquoise for the next border, but I think I'd make it a solid or very small print, no piecing. To my eye, there's already enough pattern in the quilt between the pieced center and the very graphic colored border. I think a plain border for the next round would be restful to the eye.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:22 AM

I like the white dots on black if you need to big it up. I would not add anything that takes my attention away from the fabulous tumbling blocks
Old 02-06-2018, 05:36 AM

I love how you pulled the busy border pattern over the thin black border in a couple of places - and then into the center. How did you do this?
Old 02-06-2018, 06:13 AM

Cindy - I cut out the motifs from the small bit of extra fabric I had, sewed them onto used dryer sheets and turned them inside out to create a smooth edge. Then I opened up the stop border seam where I wanted to insert them and tucked them into the seam. I was going to needle-turn applique them, but decided that a black satin stitch would be just as good and be less work.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:13 AM

Actually this quilt gives me a headache/overload due to busy center blocks and busy border. I am not seeing this as a baby quilt. I would not use the outer border with this center but would look do a more "baby" looking border. Actually maybe something like animal print. If not I would then use a tan/black small print border and bind in black.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Cindy - I cut out the motifs from the small bit of extra fabric I had, sewed them onto used dryer sheets and turned them inside out to create a smooth edge. Then I opened up the stop border seam where I wanted to insert them and tucked them into the seam. I was going to needle-turn applique them, but decided that a black satin stitch would be just as good and be less work.
Thank you so much. I plan to use this tip as it really sets off this quilt.