Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Designer Quilt boards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/designer-quilt-boards-t127842.html)

createfourpaws 06-03-2011 07:03 PM

I have a queen size warm and natural batting with flannel on top of it on one wall in my sewing area in the living since I live alone. IT is stapled to the wall.

GGinMcKinney 06-03-2011 07:07 PM

Thank you. Love the window covering idea. I can do this! I have the tablecloth already just didn't know where/how to mount it to use as a design board.
Thank you, again for the link.

4dogs 06-03-2011 07:12 PM

I have mine on the closet door.........a dollar flannel back table cloth, held in place with thunb tacks, and on the closet door.........you cant do much else with a closet door, since you cant put anything in front of it, and still open it........

Tryin 06-03-2011 11:58 PM

I use two of the tri-fold boards covered with batting and tacked it to my wall. I love it because i can stick pins in it if i need to and i can easily make it vertical or horizontal or remove it if i choose. It is on the wall behind my quilting room door, easily accessed when the door is closed.

quilterella 06-04-2011 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
You NEED this Blog. She has many ways to make a design wall.
I wish I was just a little bit as creative....=)

http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/sear...all%20tutorial

Thankyou for the awesome link...she is a very creative lady.

NJ Quilter 06-04-2011 02:43 AM

I also just bought the vinyl backed table cloths - $3 each. Plan to sew them together for a large 'design wall'. My problem is no place to hang it! Not sure how I'll address that issue when the time comes other than going to my local firehouse and pinning it up on one of their walls.

bigsister63 06-04-2011 06:25 AM

Do search on "design board' There are many great ideas!

Deborahlees 06-04-2011 06:41 AM

I just finished making mine, and don't know how I lived without it. I use a medium/small bedroom as my sewing studio, and between the bookcase, cutting table, sewing cabinet and large sewing table not much room left but the closet doors. tryed hanging large piece of felt in front of doors, everything fell off. Did a lot of reading and research, and discovered Insulation Foam at Home Depot. Measured my closet doors, 6' 8"...Picked up, by accident the 1-1/2" thick boards, glad I did. Asked very sweetly if they would cut it for me... said they aren't supposed to but would...had them cut it down from the 8 foot to the 6'8" then had them cut each 4 foot wide piece in half. Packed them all in my car and I was off. When I got home used cheap white flannel, cut to size, used 3M Super 77 spray glue. Folded flannel side to inside, used large pieces of duct tape to make a hindge on the back so it folds in half either when I put away or when I need to move it. can keep current project on the board when I fold it onto it self. Stands in front of closet doors at a slight angle. When I am working on a project the blocks 'stick' nicely to the flannel, when I start sewing strips, use pins instead. Whole thing cost me probably $20.00

Deborahlees 06-04-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
I also just bought the vinyl backed table cloths - $3 each. Plan to sew them together for a large 'design wall'. My problem is no place to hang it! Not sure how I'll address that issue when the time comes other than going to my local firehouse and pinning it up on one of their walls.

Let us know how that one works for you ! :lol:

ctub0126 06-04-2011 06:52 AM

I don't have the space issue because my sewing room is the top floor of our garage so I have a design wall roughly 4 feet larger (side to side) than a king quilt and taller than me. I have felt that I got in bulk (with coupons of course!) and sewed together. I have a PVC pipe top and bottom (in pieces) rigged on some rope I had lying around. I can take it, fold it into about 1/4 the length and roll it up if I need to, but most the time I just drape the clear plastic cover I have for it (dust and birds stink) over what I'm working on. I can make "erasable" notes on the plastic or use safety pins and pin paper around the edges so I don't forget what I was doing.