Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Designing a Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/designing-quilt-t65548.html)

littlehud 09-19-2010 10:45 AM

I love my EQ6 and it works great for me.

bearisgray 09-19-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
You could always cut mockup squares paper in the various sizes of your blocks (scaling them down to 1/10 or whatever size is most comfortable for you) and play around with those. I do this a lot and it doesn't cost any money, nor my precious time to learn getting a new software to do what I want.

Good luck! Your project sounds fun.

Graph paper works for me, too.

bethreyn 09-19-2010 10:58 AM

Gaigai, I hear ya loud and clear!! I do so much on my computer so it makes sense to me besides I suck at math and it boggles my mind when I start to draw it out. I have started a few times but stopped because my mind does flips!! LOL

You know you can use the Windows program on your Mac. I'm looking at buying a new Mac and moving that direction since I am starting to collect Apple products...

I guess I will go shopping. I took pictures of each on my t-shirts this afternoon and even thought about working in PhotoShop just to get an idea. If I had AutoCAD I would use it. :mrgreen:

Originally Posted by gaigai

Originally Posted by Lockeb
When I design my patterns, I never use a computerized program...when it comes to my designs, I like to sit and work it out manually - calculate it the olde fashioned way -Of course, every one will have their favourite way - but I still love the olde-fashioned way!!!!!!

Still ROFL! Well, I still have dreams (nightmares?) of designing my avatar quilt. The center is log-cabin blocks put together to make the Ohio Star, the photos are set in octagons, and then there are the lattice blocks. If I had had a program like EQ, I definitely would have used it. Old fashionioned is not necessarily good. Think out-houses, washing clothes by hand, etc. The only reason I don't have EQ now, is that I've gone Mac. I consider "Window's" old fashioned! LOL

So, it's up to you Bethreyn. It didn't kill me to do the math myself, and it was a good math refresher. But it made it a WHOLE lot more difficult.

gaigai 09-19-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by bethreyn
You know you can use the Windows program on your Mac. I'm looking at buying a new Mac and moving that direction since I am starting to collect Apple products...

Yeah, I could get Parallels, but it is another $80.00. Plus, when you run a Window's program with Parallels and connect to the internet, you have all the security issues that made you go Mac in the first place. I have a pc laptop, but am going to get a new Macbook Pro, and will probably get Parallels, just so I can run my genealogy program and a few others, but I won't connect to the internet through any of those programs because of the crappy Window's security. Does anyone know if you can run EQ without having to connect to the internet? My understanding is you lose a lot of the program (ie fabric downloads, etc) without the net.

ghostrider 09-19-2010 11:36 AM

I have just finished a t-shirt quilt that was pretty basic in the fact that the t-shirts were all the same size. Now, I am getting ready to work on another that has a lot of different sizes. Is there any kind of software out there that I can use to "layout" the different sized blocks? I have one that will be my center and it's about 16x16. I have others that are 15x15 and 7x8 and 8x6 and on and on. I don't want to use any sashing. I just didn't want to have to cut everything and then try to piece it all together on the floor. I was hoping to use the software to play with it and then see if I need to cut blocks smaller or whatever. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

You can do this using Excel if you have it. Very easy, no math involved, only basic Excel skills.. PM me if you'd like guidance.

amma 09-19-2010 01:27 PM

Gaigai, I hear ya loud and clear!! I do so much on my computer so it makes sense to me besides I suck at math and it boggles my mind when I start to draw it out. I have started a few times but stopped because my mind does flips!! LOL

I guess I will go shopping. I took pictures of each on my t-shirts this afternoon and even thought about working in PhotoShop just to get an idea. If I had AutoCAD I would use it. :mrgreen:

Originally Posted by Lockeb
When I design my patterns, I never use a computerized program...when it comes to my designs, I like to sit and work it out manually - calculate it the olde fashioned way -Of course, every one will have their favourite way - but I still love the olde-fashioned way!!!!!!

Still ROFL! Well, I still have dreams (nightmares?) of designing my avatar quilt. The center is log-cabin blocks put together to make the Ohio Star, the photos are set in octagons, and then there are the lattice blocks. If I had had a program like EQ, I definitely would have used it. Old fashionioned is not necessarily good. Think out-houses, washing clothes by hand, etc. The only reason I don't have EQ now, is that I've gone Mac. I consider "Window's" old fashioned! LOL

So, it's up to you Bethreyn. It didn't kill me to do the math myself, and it was a good math refresher. But it made it a WHOLE lot more difficult.

There are free auto cad programs available, google them :D:D:D

gaigai 09-19-2010 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by amma

That would be great Amma, but I don't even know what those are! LOL!!

bethreyn 09-19-2010 05:00 PM

It's what architects and designers use for designing buildings instead of blueprints. :)

Originally Posted by amma

That would be great Amma, but I don't even know what those are! LOL!!