Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Designing a Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/designing-quilt-t65548.html)

bethreyn 09-19-2010 06:05 AM

I have just finished a t-shirt quilt that was pretty basic in the fact that the t-shirts were all the same size. Now, I am getting ready to work on another that has a lot of different sizes. Is there any kind of software out there that I can use to "layout" the different sized blocks? I have one that will be my center and it's about 16x16. I have others that are 15x15 and 7x8 and 8x6 and on and on. I don't want to use any sashing. I just didn't want to have to cut everything and then try to piece it all together on the floor. I was hoping to use the software to play with it and then see if I need to cut blocks smaller or whatever. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

kristen0112 09-19-2010 06:10 AM

Electric Quilt 7 (EQ7)

sewcrafty 09-19-2010 07:18 AM

EQ7 is my thought also. Tis a bit expensive, but you can even scan in your shirts to see them in the quilt.

bethreyn 09-19-2010 08:05 AM

Is this downloadable or do I have to get a disc? I was hoping to spend less than $100 but I guess I want a lot huh!! Is it user friendly? I downloaded some trial software last night but can't make it do what I was wanting and I'm ready to get started now. :)

gaigai 09-19-2010 08:08 AM

ROFLMAO!! I remember designing my avatar quilt and working out the math. I had to re-learn algebra. It took longer to design it and figure out the math and size of each piece than it did to make the quilt!

bethreyn 09-19-2010 08:15 AM

So, I would assume you're saying I should just bite the big one and purchase the software.
I paid for someone to quilt the t-shirt quilt and didn't want to pay the extra $68 to have her bind it...I should have. It cost me that much in time and frustration!!!
I just want to make sure when I spend my $189 that it will really do what I want it to do.

Originally Posted by gaigai
ROFLMAO!! I remember designing my avatar quilt and working out the math. I had to re-learn algebra. It took longer to design it and figure out the math and size of each piece than it did to make the quilt!

Melinda in Tulsa 09-19-2010 08:37 AM

I have a notion dot com has it for $149

salmonsweet 09-19-2010 08:48 AM

You could always cut mockup squares paper in the various sizes of your blocks (scaling them down to 1/10 or whatever size is most comfortable for you) and play around with those. I do this a lot and it doesn't cost any money, nor my precious time to learn getting a new software to do what I want.

Good luck! Your project sounds fun.

Lockeb 09-19-2010 08:52 AM

When I design my patterns, I never use a computerized program...when it comes to my designs, I like to sit and work it out manually - calculate it the olde fashioned way -Of course, every one will have their favourite way - but I still love the olde-fashioned way!!!!!!

gaigai 09-19-2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lockeb
When I design my patterns, I never use a computerized program...when it comes to my designs, I like to sit and work it out manually - calculate it the olde fashioned way -Of course, every one will have their favourite way - but I still love the olde-fashioned way!!!!!!

Still ROFL! Well, I still have dreams (nightmares?) of designing my avatar quilt. The center is log-cabin blocks put together to make the Ohio Star, the photos are set in octagons, and then there are the lattice blocks. If I had had a program like EQ, I definitely would have used it. Old fashionioned is not necessarily good. Think out-houses, washing clothes by hand, etc. The only reason I don't have EQ now, is that I've gone Mac. I consider "Window's" old fashioned! LOL

So, it's up to you Bethreyn. It didn't kill me to do the math myself, and it was a good math refresher. But it made it a WHOLE lot more difficult.